12. How Are Thou Fallen

It was nighttime when we returned to the Institute. Clary seemed happy with the information we had gathered both on the Soul Sword and her mother. I had explained everything to Isabelle when I saw her again, leaving out only the part about Clary's rune solely for the fact that she couldn't know.
It was like Jace had said: it was too dangerous for the Lightwoods to be connected to this secret. If we were found out, we would be in huge trouble and that wasn't something I could put the Lightwoods through. They had gotten in enough trouble because of us already.

Shortly after we arrived, Isabelle went to Aldertree for the mission report. Clary's phone rang just a moment after and she picked up to learn that Simon had found Luke. The redhead emitted a small shriek, gave me a quick hug, and hurried back out of the Institute.
Now alone, I decided to go find Jace.
I wanted to see how he was holding up after everything that had happened recently.

But funnily enough, Jace was nowhere to be found. I checked in his room, the weapons room, the training room, the library, even the kitchens, but he wasn't there.
I frowned and worried the inside of my lip.
Had he left for some mission while I was away? It wasn't impossible, but he would have left me a message on my phone if that was the case.
My gut flipped over uncomfortably and I decided to see if Isabelle knew Jace's whereabouts. So I turned on my heel and started down the hallway towards Aldertree's office.

When I got there, the heavy oak door was firmly shut. Two separate voices floated delicately out into the hallway and I could tell it was Izzy and Aldertree. They sounded as if they were arguing. I frowned and pressed up against the wall around the corner so I was out of sight. I couldn't imagine what they could be fighting over.
My common sense told me it was nothing, perhaps the fact that Izzy was unable to enter the Citadel, but the curious side of me told me to take out my stele and draw a hearing rune.
Against my better knowledge, I did the latter.
The hearing rune glowed brightly and activated half a second later. The two voices were now perfectly audible.

"I almost died!" Isabelle was saying angrily.
"I'm sorry, Isabelle, I had no idea there would be a purity trial, otherwise I wouldn't have sent you," Aldertree responded in a slightly calmer tone of voice.
"How can I believe you?"
"I wanted you to heal! I wanted you to be able to go on the mission to the Iron Sisters like you so desperately wanted. I would never cause you any harm," Aldertree said back. "But, if you don't want any more, I understand."

My frown deepened. What was he talking about 'wanting any more'?
Clearly Aldertree was the reason Isabelle had failed the purity trail with the Sisters and whatever the cause of it was, Isabelle didn't know until just now. My heart started beating rapidly in my chest.

"Wait!" Isabelle said after a few moments of silence. There was a noise from the room that sounded like Aldertree turning around. A few seconds later, the British man spoke again. "I only wanted to help you. But now I'm going to need your help in return. If there is anything you neglected to tell me about Clary Fairchild-"
"I've told you everything that happened," Izzy promised quickly.

My breath caught in my throat and I pressed harder against the wall I was leaning against. So Isabelle was spying on Clary for Aldertree? What could possibly make her do that?
Feelings of betrayal, confusion, and fear started swirling around in my chest.
Before I could move from my hiding spot, the door to Aldertree's door opened.

I quickly turned from the corner I was hiding behind and started walking down the hallway towards the door as if I just happened to be walking by.
Isabelle shut the door behind her and jerked back in surprise when she saw me.
"Cara," she said tensely. "What are you doing here?"
All of a sudden my breath caught in my throat and I couldn't form words. I was a natural liar and I was usually able to talk my way out of sticky situations but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to lie to my parabati again.
Isabelle's face fell into an expression of fear and worry. "You heard didn't you?"
I closed my mouth, giving her a small nod.
Isabelle sighed deeply and lent up against the wall by Aldertree's door.
I surged forward and grabbed her forearm, pulling her after me as I walked down the hallway until we were out of earshot from Aldertree.