8. Day of Wrath

I doubted I was asleep for more than half an hour before I was jerked awake by a loud knock on Magnus's front door.

"Magnus!" A voice cried. "Are you there? It's me!"
It was Simon, desperate to gain the Warlock's attention for a reason I didn't know. I glanced over to Raphael, who was still seated but looking much better, and didn't miss the nasty snarl he pulled his top lip into. I frowned and swung around to look back at the door when Simon knocked again.

Magnus raised a tanned hand into the air and unlocked the door with a flick of his wrist. Simon yanked the door open and slammed it louder then necessary.
Just as the teenager was walking inside, Raphael swung his legs off the couch and stood up.

"Okay," Simon said in the breathless tone that I was pretty used to by now, "time to put your money where your mouth is in trying to help me find Camille, Magnus, because Raph-"
Simon cut his sentence off when he rounded the corner out of the front hall and was met face-to-face with an angry Raphael. Simon jerked back in surprise and groaned.
"Man, you're everywhere!"

"Aldertree did this to me because of you," Raphael hissed. He tilted his face so Simon could see the remaining scars that Magnus hadn't had time to fix yet.
"Yeah? Well, you look like crap, bring it on scarface!" Simon had the nerve to actually reach out and shove Raphael in the chest but Magnus stepped in before anyone could get hurt.
I stood from my cramped seat on the armchair but kept my distance. Angry vampires weren't something I enjoyed being around.

"Hey, hey, boys, relax!" The Warlock raised his voice slightly. "Let's talk this out like civil Downworlders....anyone for a martini? I'm having one."
I raised my hand in the air, unashamed. Magnus smiled at me and slid past Simon and Raphael to go make us drinks.
Simon, who had just been alerted of my presence when I had moved, faced Raphael again but this time with more restraint.

"You threatened my mom," he accused.
"If you even lifted half a finger to help find Camille-"
"Half a finger? I Portaled to freaking India and had to face off with this giant cobra and all I got was this stupid box!" Simon whipped a small square box out of his jacket and waved it in front of Raphael's face.
Raphael rolled his eyes delicately, clearly over this argument, and snatched the box out of Simon's hands.
"This 'stupid box' is sacred," he said calmly. "Do you know why?" He looked at Simon, who shook his head. Then he looked at me and I mirrored Simon's actions.
"This box contains Camille's grave dirt."

At that, both Magnus and I froze and looked up at each other. But according to Simon's frown and careless shrug, he didn't know how important that was.
Magnus crossed the room and handed me my martini as Simon questioned Raphael about the importance of grave dirt. Raphael rolled his eyes again at Simon's ignorance in such a way that I was afraid another fight would break out.

"If you have a vampire's grave dirt," I said slowly, "you can use it to summon them. Can't you?"
Both Raphael and Magnus nodded in agreement.
"Great," Simon didn't sound too happy. "Not that it means anything, but that thing is harder to open than the Lost Ark." He pointed to the small box sitting on the coffee table. Raphael turned to me and reached into my drink to pull out the skewered olive resting inside the alcohol.
I didn't protest; I hated olives.
Raphael flicked the olive onto the floor and reached down to grab Simon's hand. Once the boy's palm was barred to him, he swiped the sharp skewer down his palm.
Simon hissed in pain as a line of blood bubbled on his pale skin.
"What the hell was that for?"

Raphael dropped the skewer and picked Simon's hand up again.
"You need Camille's blood to open the box," he explained. "But she isn't here, and since she's your sire..."
He let the rest do the talking for him. Simon's palm was held over the small box and his blood was dripped onto the lid. Once enough was on the box, the lid popped up easily enough. Simon wrenched his arm out of Raphael's grasp and stepped closer to the see what had happened.
True to our theory, the small box was filled to the brim with finely ground, black dirt.