6. Lover Found

"Magnus, this is a crazy plan, it's never going to work!"
"It won't if we never try, little Cara."
"Don't we have another option?"
"Yes. We can let Alec wither away here on the bed which is something I would rather not do."

Isabelle sighed deeply and broke up me and Magnus's conversation when she said, "Alright, fine, I'll do it."
Magnus and I whirled around to face her. Her long black hair spilled over her shoulders in a thick wave, framing her determined face. "I'll do it," she repeated. "And if Aldertree finds out, I'll take the blame."
"We all will," I corrected her. "We're going through with this together, as a family."
Isabelle nodded in agreement. Magnus clapped his ringed hands together and said, "Well, let's get started, shall we?"

The first part of our intricately-woven plan was to somehow alert Raj to enter the room without also alerting Aldertree as well. Aldertree's office was quite a few halls away but we weren't going to take any chances with how much surveillance he had on us. We knew we weren't being watched from inside the room, but the hall was a different matter.
In order to lure Raj inside, we had to be inconspicuous, but also genuine in our reasoning. Our ruse was that Alec was beginning to wake up and we needed Raj to watch over him while Isabelle ran and got Aldertree.
The second part of the plan was the easiest, but also the most risky. Once Raj was inside the room and out of the hallway, Isabelle would quietly shut the door behind him and then proceed to knock him out with her electrum whip. Because Raj was a Shadowhunter, he wouldn't be unconscious for long, which meant we had to act quickly.
The third part of our plan was for Magnus to discreetly open a Portal and move Alec into his apartment downtown. Isabelle and I would stay in the Institute, watching over the glamoured Raj made to look like Alec, and act as though nothing was out of the ordinary.

I had to admit, it was a pretty bad-ass plan. It carried an extreme amount of risk; if we made even the smallest mistake, someone would find out. And if someone found out, runes could be stripped and families could disown us.
But that was honestly the least of my worries. If it ensured Alec's and Jace's safely, I would gladly give up my runes.

Because Isabelle had offered to do the dirty work, Magnus and I resumed out seats next to the bed where Alec laid. Once we were ready, Isabelle hurriedly ran to the door and wrenched it open.
Raj appeared in an instant, his nosy self making sure we weren't up to no good. Ironic.

"Raj, Alec's waking up!" Isabelle gushed happily. "Stay with him, I have to go get Aldertree!"
Before the Shadowhunter could respond, Izzy pushed him gently into the room and disappeared down the hallway. Our window of time wasn't very long for this next part, if Raj noticed Alec hadn't really woken up, he would sense something was wrong and call Aldertree immediately.
But things went directly as planned. Raj entered the room, oblivious to anything unusual, and Isabelle silently followed behind him. Once Raj was inside, Izzy closed and locked the door, and quickly uncurled her whip from her wrist.

Just as Raj realized he was being led into a trap, Isabelle's whip cracked and he fell like a stone.
The three of us waited anxiously to make sure there were no panicked footsteps in the hallway. Nobody was coming, we were safe.

Quickly, I knelt down besides Raj and drew and glamour rune on his left forearm. A second later Raj had disappeared and Alec was laying on both the bed and the floor by me. It was a little odd, seeing two of the same person in the same room.
I pushed down the bundle of nerves settling in my stomach and motioned for Isabelle to help me lift Raj into the bed. While we maneuvered the heavy Shadowhunter, Magnus was doing his best to open a Portal in a quick and silent manner.

Once the Warlock had opened the Portal, he scooped Alec up in his arms and Izzy and I replaced our brother with Raj.
Magnus gave the two of us a glittering wink before stepping into the Portal and disappearing.