16. One Lost, One Broken

Simon jolted forwards as Clary disappeared through the Portal, to the point where Jace had to stick his arm out and catch the young Vampire in the chest in order to prevent him from sprawling headfirst onto the pavement.
Simon righted himself and stood with us in silence for the next few seconds. Then, breaking the quiet, I ran my hands through my hair and let a breath out from behind my teeth.
"This isn't good," I muttered, stating the obvious. "This isn't good at all. Valentine could have taken her anywhere-"
"Not anywhere," Jace corrected me. Valentine still needs a bolt of lightning."
Simon let out an exasperated sound at how calm Jace sounded.
"So, what? You want me to check the five day forecast for every city in the entire world?" He shouted. "You were right, finding Madzie was way too easy-"

Simon's phone pinged and he shoved his hand into his pocket and pulled it out. His expression relaxed somewhat.
"Okay, Luke just texted me," he explained, furiously typing a reply. I felt a surge of hope.
"Maybe Luke can help," I suggested. "He would know where to look first, maybe he can use some of his wolves."
At the mention of Luke's pack I found my mind wandering momentarily to Maia, and I wondered how she was doing since this morning.
I had no sooner finished my sentence when a loud, grueling yell was heard coming from behind a row of large buildings about a block next to us. Simon let out a quiet "what the hell..." but Jace's boots were already pounding on the pavement as he ran towards the sound. Simon and I had no trouble following him down the dark street.

Jace swung into a narrow alleyway that received its only lighting from the scarce light of the neighboring buildings. But even through the darkness I could see the crumpled mundane body on the pavement and two sinewy figures hunched over it.
At the arrival of three unexpected people, the creatures lifted their heads. When the light hit their faces I wasn't surprised to see two rouge Vampires. The closest Vampire hissed angrily and bared its bloodstained face at us. I sucked in a silent breath of surprise as I saw the blood running from the Vampire's teeth and out of his mouth.
"Don't move!" Simon shouted at the Vampire, but it was too late. The agile creature stood and swung up the nearby fire escape attached to the brick wall only a few feet from him. The second Vampire stuck around long enough to finish drinking from the Mundane but he quickly followed his partner. They were out of sight in less than three seconds. Jace and I didn't even have the chance to draw our Seraph blades.

Jace knelt down and pressed two fingers to the Mundane's neck. After a while he stood up and shook his head at us.
"He's dead," He confirmed.
"Dude, that's so not normal," Simon half-whispered. He was clearly a little weirded about about what he had just seen. "Even the worst of Camille's people wouldn't risk attacking a Mundane on the streets."
"Especially with a Seelie," Jace added.
His statement caught me by surprise. I did a double take in the direction the vampire- and apparent Seelie- had vanished just seconds ago.
"That was a Seelie?" I clarified. With a nod from Jace, my confusion grew. "Why on earth would a Vampire do something like that?"
"Maybe that's what Luke was talking about, a Downworld revolt," Simon said.
"Luke was talking about a Downworld revolt?" I asked my third question in the last three seconds.
"Yeah, Luke met with the representatives of the Downworld earlier tonight," Simon explained to me. "He met with Magnus, Raphael, and Meliorn to discuss what was going to happen now that they all know Clary can activate the Soul Sword."
"I'm guessing it didn't go to well?"
"No, it didn't. Raphael and Meliorn want Clary dead before she can be used to kill them. Magnus and Luke want to keep Clary safe but things aren't looking good. At least not for much longer." Simon finished his explanation by sucking in a rattling breath as if he was trying to calm himself down.

"So you think the Vampires and the Seelies have...what? Joined forces together?" I asked, staring down at the dead Mundane.
It was Jace who answered me this time.
"No, I doubt it," he said. "I recognized that Vampire, he was in Valentine's zoo."
The thought of Valentine keeping Downworlders like animals made my stomach churn uncomfortably. I wrapped my arms around my midsection and asked, "But why would Valentine have Downworlders attack Mundanes?"
Jace shook his head at me and muttered, "I don't know, it must have something to do with the Sword." He pulled out his phone and moved a few paces away from the dead body, dialing some unknown number.
My heart leapt when I heard Alec pick up. He must have some information on Isabelle's whereabouts by now. Hopefully she was safe and at the Institute.