11. Ace of Cups

The entire apartment went silent when Clary made her announcement. Magnus stood to his full six and a half foot height, his search for the Chairman Meow abandoned. Jace dropped his hand from his mouth and cocked his head to the side as if he hadn't heard Clary correctly. I simply remained where I was sitting and hummed thoughtfully.
Just because she thought she knew where the Cup was, doesn't mean it was actually there. As good as this news was, we couldn't afford to be jumping to conclusions.

Clary looked stunned at the lack of expressions. She spread her hands out and shook her red hair at us.
"What...why aren't you all happy? This is great news!" She exclaimed.
"Where do you think it is?" I asked, trying to keep the doubt from my voice.
"If my mother could do the same thing with the drawings that I can, then the Cup has to be in the Tarot cards! She painted an entire set for Dot and there was a card-the ace of cups. It looked exactly like the Mortal Cup!"
Clary was almost yelling by the time she had finished her explanation. Magnus wore a concerned frown-apparently his neighbors were complainers. The Warlock and I shared a knowing look behind Clary's back and when I caught Jace's eye, he was thinking the same thing.

"Here's the thing, Clary," I began slowly, "all we have to do it find Dot."
Clary nodded enthusiastically and moved to pick up her messenger bag but her motions slowed and finally stopped when she realized what I meant.
"And Dot..." Clary trailed off in disbelief and folded her arms angrily across her chest. She shook her head and looked at her feet. "We can't let Valentine find the Cup," she murmured.
"If Valentine does get the Cup-"
Magnus stood up and abruptly cut Jace off with a slender finger pushing against his mouth. Jace frowned in surprise and took a step away from the Warlock's bronze hand. I snorted in laughter, quickly covering it with a cough.

"We all know what happens when Valentine gets the Cup," Magnus told Jace. "If he started using the Cup to turn mundanes into Shadowhunters or gain control of demons, it would be like Beyoncé riding through Times Square on a dinosaur."
I wasn't surprised at Magnus's dramatic metaphor, I had known him too long to expect anything else from him, but Clary raised a brow. Magnus leaned closer to her and whispered, "People would notice."
"But Valentine can control demons," Clary told the Warlock, "I've seen it myself."
"Oh, paying off a few demons isn't that hard. Especially because they rarely last long enough to collect," Magnus waved a dismissive hand. "But opening the gates of Hell...that's a little more tricky."
"Naturally," I muttered.

It was now that we noticed Luke walking into the room. He was still without a shirt, the white linen bandages covering almost his entire torso. He walked stiffly to the couch and leaned on the back of it for support.
"Valentine doesn't have the cards," He told us casually. I widened my eyes at his words.
"No?" I asked. "Then...where are they?"
"They're at my desk back at the precinct," Luke said. "When Clary went missing, I went to the loft and cleared everything out so the Circle members couldn't track her."
"Well, then, this is going to be easy!" Clary sounded relieved. Magnus pulled a face and sat himself down in a red armchair.
"That's what General Custer said," He said almost to himself.
"Magnus is right," Luke agreed. "Valentine has spies everywhere, even in the NYPD. We're going to have to be discreet."
"Discreet?" Clary sounded astonished. "You look like something out of the Mummy Movie."
A giggling laugh was heard from the red armchair. Magnus looked away before Luke could catch him laughing.
"We'll go in the morning," Luke said. "Werewolf healing, remember? This is nothing a few hours of beauty sleep can't fix."
"Must be nice." I stood from my seat at the kitchen table and gingerly stretched my hands above my head. "In that case, I'm going to need to go back to the Institute. As much as I enjoy your company, Magnus," the Warlock shot me a glittering grin, "I'm still technically on house arrest."

"I'll go with you," Jace said.
"Are you sure? This seems like an important thing to miss."
Jace smirked. "Who said we're going to miss it? We'll meet here in the morning."
I shrugged in agreement and made sure I had all of my belongings before thanking Magnus for his help again.
"Watch out for yourself, Little Cara. I mean it this time." The Warlock called to me as Jace and I opened his apartment door. I yelled a quick promise behind me, along with a wave, and Jace shut the door behind us.