9. Deals with Warlocks

The next day came and went quickly but neither Jace nor I were awake to see any of it. In fact, we had just fallen into bed, exhausted, when the first rays of sunlight were appearing on the horizon.
But the two of us slept like children for at least fifteen hours before even considering opening our eyes and facing the new day.

It was seven in the morning when I woke.
Jace was on his back, eyes still closed, his chest rising and falling evenly. His face was turned away from me at an odd angle and I smiled at how he was able to sleep in any conditions if he was tired enough.
There was still dirt and blood caked everywhere in him but to be fair, I wasn't looking much better. It was obvious that my sheets would have to be changed afterwards.
I sighed deeply and stretched my hands above me, arching my back. I heard the satisfying sound of my back cracking and it made me smile.

From next to me came a quiet chuckle.
I let my hands fall back to my sides and rolled over to lay my chin on Jace's chest.
"I thought you were asleep," I smiled.
"I was," he said, "until you stretched loud enough to wake the dead."
I laughed again as he opened his eyes to smile down at me.
"Very funny coming from the guy that smells bad enough to wake the dead."
"I want to see you come out of the City of Bones smelling like a rose."
"Well, it is my last name."
Jace rolled his eyes with the same smile and pushed me off of him so he could stretch as well.

He sat up and looked past me to frown out the window.
"What time is it?" He asked.
"Uh...seven, I think." I pushed myself so I was laying across Jace's legs to reach my phone on the bedside table. I clicked it on and read the bright screen. "Yeah. Seven thirty."
"Damn. We must have been tired."
"Yeah, you wore everyone out chasing after you and then that demon Valentine sent here."
As soon as I mentioned the demon, I wished I hadn't. The memory of Jocelyn dying at the hands of a possessed Alec came back at full force and made my heart sink. I reminded myself that Jocelyn was Jace's mother as well as Clary's. But the boy seemed to be taking the news better than his sister. He hadn't spilled any tears or even acted like he was grieving whilst Clary...
I actually hadn't seen Clary since last night.
I had no idea how she was handling everything.

I sighed again and pulled myself up into a sitting position next to Jace.
"You need to take a shower," Jace said casually, rolling his head to the side to look at me playfully. "You kind of smell."
"I can't stand you, Jace Wayland," I laughed. I swung my feet over the side of the bed and stood up. I was still in my clothes from the night before. We hadn't taken anything off except for our shoes, which were by the door. "You need a shower too, so come on."
I extended my hand towards him and made  a grabbing motion. Jace stood from the bed and took my hand as we walked to the bathroom together.

We undressed slowly, mostly because our clothes were stuck to our skin with blood or dirt and it would have hurt to do otherwise. We dropped our clothing to the bathroom floor in a pile and decided to leave them there for the time being.
Jace reached into the shower and turned the water on.
"Make it warm," I told him as I carefully pulled my shirt over my head. The dark pink color was stained through with Isabelle's blood.

Steam was rising from the shower by the time we actually stepped in.
We took our time together, gently washing each other and talking softly. Jace stood with his back to the water and I stood so my chest was touching his.

"Your shampoo smells good," Jace told me as I reached up to wash his hair.
"Yeah? Magnus gave it to me."
"Magnus is your shampoo guy?" Jace sounded amused.
When I was finished washing his hair, Jace took his turn to wash mine. My hair was much longer than his was and multiple knots were spread throughout. But Jace was gentle as he ran both shampoo and conditioner through my hair.

Once every inch of us was scrubbed, Jace turned the water off. I stepped out first and handed Jace a towel before wrapping myself in one as well.
Thanks to our foreword thinking, Jace had clean clothes in my room that he was able to change into.
While he was changing I walked over to my dresser and pulled out my own clothes. I tugged on a pair of skinny jeans that Isabelle had given to me, along with a orange shirt that twisted into a knot by my bellybutton.
I rubbed my long hair dry with my towel before pulling it up into a messy ponytail to keep it from falling into my eyes. Then I slid into a pair of black heeled booties that had also previously belonged to my parabati.