2. The Mortal Cup

Jace and I stood in the middle of my bedroom, facing each other. I could tell he was still upset at the way things had gone tonight and the fact that I was trying to persuade him to go after the red haired girl probably didn't improve his mood.

"No, Cara, I've already told you. It's too dangerous. The demons know that we're after them now and to go out looking for someone only hours later is complete suicide!"
"When has that ever stopped you?" I asked, my voice rising in frustration. "Last time I checked you were willing to commit 'complete suicide' going after that demon tonight-"
"That was different," Jace interrupted. He folded his arms across his chest and leaned against my wall when he realized that I wasn't going to give this up any time soon.
"It was not different! This girl needs our help and it's our job to go help her, what if she tells someone what she saw? What then?"
"Then they think she's crazy, she thinks she was drugged, and in a few days it all blows over," Jace shrugged carelessly.

I couldn't think of what else to say, I couldn't believe that Jace didn't care about this as much as I thought he would. An angry sigh came out of my mouth.
"Okay fine, I'll go after her myself," I moved to my dresser to grab my stele but Jace was there before me. He held my stele out of reach and looked at me with an unreadable expression.
"No, you're not going after her," He told me.
I stopped my attempts at getting my stele back and folded my arms across my chest.
"Why?" I was angry now, and it didn't help that Jace wasn't as worked up about this as I was.
"Because it is too dangerous, Cara," Jace repeated, "You aren't going to risk your life for some little girl."
I barely repressed the urge to scream, but thankfully before I snapped, my parabati walked into the room, drawn to the noise.

"Jace, Cara, what is going on?" Isabelle seemed amused at our argument as she leant against my doorframe.
"Jace is being full of himself-"
"Cara thinks she can get herself killed-"
I glared at Jace when he interrupted me and he fell silent.
"I'm going after that girl that ruined our mission tonight, the one with the red hair," I explained to Izzy. She nodded, obviously agreeing with me. I couldn't tell if she really did agree with me or if she was just acting like it because she was my parabati and she had to, but right now I didn't care.
"Thank you, now tell Jace to give me my stele back or I'll just go without any runes," I turned to Jace when I spoke, giving him a pointed look.

After a few seconds, Jace finally handed my stele to me.
"I'm coming with you," The way he said it left no room for any argument. I nodded and slipped my stele into my back pocket.
"The more the merrier, lets go."

-----

For the second time that night we had to sneak out of the Institute. But because it was almost midnight, it was a lot easier than the first time.
I was runed with invisibility, silence, stealth, and night vision while Jace decided he didn't need any except night vision. He claimed he was stealthy enough on his own.
We stopped in the training room before we left, carefully taking two Seraph blades and hurrying out before Hodge saw us. That man was everywhere, even at this time of night. You could never tell when he was going to appear out of the blue and catch you doing something you weren't supposed to be.

Once we were outside in the cold night, Jace looked at me expectantly.
"Well?" He asked.
"Well what?"
"Where do you suggest we start looking?"
I then realized that I had no plan whatsoever.
"Umm..." I paused, trying to think of something, "Let's start at the club. Something tells me that she's in danger and it probably has something to do with the demons. You brought your Sensor?"
Jace slid it out of his jacket pocket.
"Good, so we go to Pandemonium and see if it picks anything up," I was pretty proud of my plan before seeing the look of Jace's face.
"What?" I asked, exasperated.
"That's it?" He raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and started walking in the direction of the nightclub.
"Are you always this charming to people? Or do you just save it for me?" I didn't bother to turn around to see the look of his face but I could make a pretty good guess that he was smirking.