5. Parabati Lost

Alec's seizing had only calmed once Magnus arrived. As soon as things had started getting worse, Isabelle had yelled for me to call the Warlock and that was exactly what I had done.
When Magnus learned that his precious Alec was in trouble, he Portaled inside the Institute in under thirty seconds. The Warlock pushed Jocelyn out of the room and shoved me off the bed to sit next to his Shadowhunter.

Magnus was now still crouching by Alec, his hands extended only a few inches from the Shadowhunter's face. Blue Warlock magic was spinning from his fingers and melting into Alec's skin.
Alec had stopped writhing uncontrollably and was now laying completely still on his bed. A thin sheet of sweat covered his face and torso.
I didn't know what Magnus's magic was doing to help Alec but I didn't doubt the fact that it was helping.

Isabelle stood right next to where Magnus was sitting, her hands clenched together nervously. I stood a few feet behind them and watched as Magnus toiled over our big brother.
After a long while of no progress, Isabelle worked up the nerve to ask, "Magnus, is it working?"
Magnus let out a tired breath and withdrew his magic with a snap. "I'm sorry, Isabelle," he sounded sincere. "But my magic can only do so much. The parabati bond is like a tether that binds two souls." Magnus extended his hands again and the blue magic reappeared. "Jace and Alec share emotions, instinct, strength. You know this, you and Cara share the same traits."
I chewed the inside of my cheek and ignored the terrible rolling of my stomach.
"So, Jace is like this too?" I asked quietly. It was bad enough the Alec was going through this but if Jace was also experiencing similar symptoms, then it seemed as if we hadn't helped anything but instead made things worse.

"Not necessarily," Magnus reassured me. "It appears that when Alec called out to Jace, part of his soul never came back. Now he's stuck. Lost somewhere between his parabati and himself."
"But if...if Jace brought back that missing piece of Alec's soul..." Izzy trailed off. Magnus pulled his Warlock magic back into his fingers and looked up at the girl.
"Then we may very well have our solution," he said. "Whatever we decide to do, we need to do it quickly."

I nodded, suddenly ready for action.
"Stay with Alec, Magnus," I said. "Isabelle, come on. Let's go find Jace."
Izzy nodded before placing a hand on Magnus's shoulder and giving her brother's hand one last squeeze.
We turned for the door but before we could get to it, a loud knock sounded from the other side.

"Magnus! Magnus, Clary's back!"
It was Jocelyn, clearly excited. Magnus rolled his eyes but didn't leave Alec's side. The Warlock was clearly not as excited as Jocelyn was.
"Magnus did you hear me? Clary's back!"
I mimicked Magnus by rolling my eyes as I stalked over to the door and ripped it open. Jocelyn stood on the other side, her fist raised to knock a third time. She seemed taken aback by my rude greeting.
"Oh good, Clary's back!" I said sarcastically. "Now I can get a good night's sleep!"
"Cara..." Isabelle warned from behind me.
I bit the inside of my lip and fell silent. Jocelyn had been gracious enough to not respond to my rude remark and was standing in silence.

"Where is Clary?" I asked after a few awkward moments. Jocelyn nodded behind her and said, "She's getting briefed by Aldertree right now. She tried to find you and Izzy as soon as she came back but Aldertree got to her first."
"Of course he did," Isabelle muttered. "He's going to pry every piece of information out of her."
"When did she get here?" I asked Jocelyn. Clary's mother shrugged.
"I don't know, ten minutes ago."
"And we're just hearing about it now?" I sighed and turned around to look at Magnus. The Warlock was staring back at me. "You alright with Alec?" I asked. When he nodded, I turned to my parabati. "Let's go find Clary, then Jace."
Isabelle nodded and grabbed my extended hand. We pushed past Jocelyn and into the hallway, leaving the older Shadowhunter with a very annoyed Magnus.