7. Valach

Alec and Isabelle left the three of us to go secure the perimeter around Hardtail, making sure no demons were shadowing us. Jace, Clary, and I stood by the entrance to the club, waiting with the huge crowd to get in.
This place made me jittery, as did a lot of places, but I was also relieved to be out on another mission instead of cooped up in the Institute as my parents would have it.
I tried not to think about my parents. I couldn't even imagine their anger when they realized that I was gone yet again without conferring with them first. I found myself wondering if they would ever get so mad at me that they would send me back to New Orleans.

"All clear," Alec came up silently behind us, his deep voice making me jump in surprise. Isabelle still looked high on excitement as she hooked her arm through mine and fingered Magnus's expensive red ruby she wore around her neck.
"Do you think red is my color?" She asked me innocently, as if she honestly didn't know.
I scoffed and rolled my eyes at her, squeezing her arm. "Izzy, everything is your color," I reminded her. The girl smiled as if she already knew. "Good point," she laughed. Then she pulled a fake pout and looked sadly down at the necklace. "Damn, I make the necklace look so good," she whined.
"Will you take it off?" Alec sounded pissed, as usual. "I'm sure Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange."
I laughed with Clary as Isabelle unlatched the necklace from around her neck and handed it around me to give to Jace. "You're such a buzzkill," she told her brother, wearing an identical smile to Clary and I.

We were let into the club only a few moments later and all of our attention became directed to finding Magnus Bane. As soon as I stepped into the place I immediately knew that our mission would be harder than we had originally thought.
Usually, Magnus stood out in a crowd with his vivid wardrobe choices and glittery, but in here, everyone looked that way. There was loud pumping music that shook the floors and people were everywhere, dancing wildly with body glitter and paint covering them.
I could see this as a place Izzy and I would go to if we weren't busy killing demons every day and night.

I elbowed a dancing girl out of my way and didn't even bother to apologize over the bone-shaking music. I could feel the beat of the song vibrating in my chest, my heart starting to thump with the music.
"Blend in, but keep your weapons ready," Jace somehow made his voice audible over the sound. Isabelle and Clary were practically glued to my sides as we delicately pushed our way through the wriggling crowd while simultaneously trying to look like we belonged.
It wasn't too hard to blend in, at least for Isabelle and I. Clary, however, was a little more awkward. I could tell she hadn't been to many clubs like this by the way she awkwardly rocked back and forth on her heels in lieu of dancing.

I smiled at her and pulled my eyes away to search for the Warlock we were meeting with. His figure jumped out at me, sitting at a bar table across the club. There was no one else at the table with him and he was entertaining himself by flicking blue and gold sparks in the air with his fingers.
I reached back to touch Jace's arm and pointed in the direction of Magnus. We pushed through the crowd until we reached the tables where less people were. Mostly everyone was on the dance floor and the ones that wouldn't would simply see a glamour instead of a Warlock.

"Magnus Bane!" Jace called over the music. Magnus snapped his head up, his yellow cat eyes instantly locking with mine like he had known we were here all along.
He waited until we were all at the table he was sitting at to finally stand up. He rose to his full six and a half foot height, his yellow eyes falling on Clary who had planted herself firmly in front of him and crossed her arms.
"Clary Fairchild. You've grown into a beautiful young woman," Magnus's cat eyes sparkled a kind of green in the strobing lights.
"Magnus Bane. So you're the one who stole all my memories?" Magnus's compliment went unrequited by Clary. He brought a silver-coated finger up to correct her.
"At your mother's request. She knew the risks."
When Clary cast her gaze down at her boots, Magnus stretched his hand out towards Jace.
"Show me the jewelry, Shadowhunter." He demanded.