1. Victor Aldertree

Hours later, and many heated arguments over what to do next, Lydia was walking alongside Isabelle, Alec, and I as we discussed the Clave's decisions on Jace. Magnus was walking behind us a few steps holding one of Jace's shirts, attempting to track the lost Shadowhunter.

"Any word from the Clave yet?" I asked Lydia, briskly climbing the steps to the training room. As soon as word had reached the Institute about Jace's disappearance with Valentine, Lydia had contacted the Clave and asked for the next steps. The woman sighed deeply and shrugged.
"Nothing yet, and I've been trying for the past four hours."
"Hmmm...Clave being unhelpful? Who's shocked? Show of hands?" Magnus quipped sarcastically, coming up from behind me. Lydia rolled her eyes and chose to ignore the Warlock.

The five of us reached a long table in the middle of the training room where Lydia stood at the head of.
"I'm worried," Alec told us. "I can't feel Jace through our parabati bond."
"We'll find him, Alexander," Magnus soothed. Alec rapped his knuckles against the tabletop but didn't respond. He was strung out on adrenaline and the pure fear of his parabati being with the most dangerous man in our world.
"The last time we spoke with Hodge, he said Valentine was on a boat, somewhere in a body of water," Izzy spoke up. "I don't know if we can trust him, but-"
"It's worth a shot," I interrupted. "Can you pull up all the waterways around New York? They couldn't have gone far."
Isabelle nodded and pulled up a 3-D hologram model of the city. She spun the see-through buildings around to face South and spread her hands out to enlarge the view we had, giving us access to the nearby waterways.

Magnus was standing off to the side and focusing back on Jace's shirt that was held in one of his ringed hands. His other hand was extended, blue wisps of his Warlock magic snaking around the material of the shirt.
Alec turned to Magnus, his eyebrows drawn together in concern.
"Anything?" He asked. Magnus waited a few seconds before withdrawing his blue magic and shaking his head.
"Nothing." Magnus sounded sorry. My heart dropped to the bottom of my stomach and I lent forward to grip the edge of the table.
"There has to be something!" Alec snapped. Magnus looked up at the Shadowhunter with an expression of shock.
"I can't find him," he repeated.

Alec clenched his jaw and walked around the table to face the rest of the open Institute.
"Alright, listen up!" His loud voice caught the attention of all the other Shadowhunters in the Institute.
"I want 24/7 monitoring of the Hudson and East Bay! If there's anything unusual, you come to me first!"
"Hey, Alec, I've got this," Lydia stepped forward and reminded Alec. The Shadowhunter whirled on her and asked, "Then why haven't you found Jace yet?"
"Don't forget who you're talking to, I'm still the head of this Institute."

I saw trouble brewing very quickly between the two, but I couldn't blame either one of them. I pushed off the edge of the table and walked over to gently touch Alec's arm.
"Look, Alec, why don't we take a break," I whispered, "Let's go take a walk-"
"Not now, Cara!" Alec yelled. I took a step back and swallowed heavily. Isabelle was about to say something but Lydia got to it first.
"Cara's right, you need to take a break. And it's not a request. You're dismissed."
Alec clenched his jaw against Lydia's words and I could see him debating whether or not to snap at Lydia. But he held his tongue and simply said, "Fine."

He turned his back on us and pushed past his sister on his way out. Before he could get to the doorway, Magnus took a few strides forward to grip his arm gently. Alec paused and turned around to stare down at the Warlock. Then he ripped his arm out of Magnus's gentle grip and backed away.
"Everyone, just back off!" He said loudly. Magnus did as requested but looked hurt nonetheless.
Alec spun on his heel and tapped quickly down the stairs, turned the corner, and disappeared.

-----

After Alec's huffy exit, Lydia sent Isabelle and I upstairs to get some sleep. Magnus left quickly after, with only a quick smile and nod in our direction. I could tell he was still taken aback from Alec snapping at him but I knew he would get over it.