18. Catastrophe

Jace had a plan, as always. But it was dangerous and crazy and had maybe a ten percent chance that it would work. Raphael listened carefully as Jace explained all the details in a hushed voice, all too aware of the close proximity of the Institute where Valentine and his men were. I watched the Vampire leader's face slowly shift into a deeper and deeper frown as the explanation neared the end. When Jace was finally done, all four Downworlders with us bore the same expression of doubt, worry, and a little fear.

There was a silence before anyone spoke. This was the first time any of us had heard Jace's plan and it sounded to me as though he had just opened his mouth and proposed the first ideas that came into his mind. But he always did tell me that the best plans were formed that way. I had my doubts.

His plan was simple, in theory. Clary was to enter the Institute alone and unarmed, surrendering herself to Valentine in order to save Simon. There was an uproar from Luke and Magnus when Jace suggested this but Clary silenced them with a protest of her own. I had to remind everyone of how close we were to the Institute and that every noise we made had the potential to reach the ears of Valentine's men. Jace had smiled at this point and revealed a major point of his plan. It wouldn't actually be Clary who entered the Institute, but himself. He would use a glamour to disguise himself as his sister. This way he would be able to both save Simon and gain access to his father whom he so desperately wanted to kill.

There was another protest, but not as severe as the first. Everyone present understood how war worked; sacrifices had to be made.

From there, Luke would call the rest of his pack and Raphael would do the same with his clan. Magnus would send word to Meliorn and ask for the Seelie soldiers to join us as well. We needed everyone we could get in order to make this work.  Once enough Downworlders were assembled, we would wait for Jace's signal from inside.
Then it would be an open battle.

My heart was beginning to pound just with the idea of war on Valentine. By the time Luke and Maia had taken their places around the Institute, adrenaline was running fiercely in my veins.
Clary took a place hidden next to Luke behind one of the stone statues flanking the front staircase. Maia was next to her. Magnus had already sent his fire-message to Meliorn and Luke had just called Alaric. Both were on the way.

But even in the midst of this organized chaos, I didn't feel whole. Nothing felt right and I knew exactly why.
Isabelle was missing.
I hadn't seen her in days and I felt as if there was a gaping hole in my stomach and chest, leaving me vulnerable to be swept away by any passing breeze. And on top of that, I was about to watch Jace walk into the Institute where he would be alone and unarmed, only to try to find a way to kill the most dangerous man in our world.
No matter how this night went, it would make history.
I found myself glad my parents had gone back to Idris a few days ago.

"Everyone is in position, Cara," Luke whispered from behind me. "Say your goodbyes and hide."
I didn't need to be told twice. Jace was standing on the lawn, just out of reach from the nearest lamppost's radius of light. His stele was clutched in his left hand, which was surprisingly steady.
I stepped off the concrete and into the grass, crossing through the light to get to him. He opened his arms for me as soon as I neared, letting me walk into them. I held him close to me for as long as I could. My hands wound themselves through his soft blond hair as I pressed my cheek to his.
His arms were tightly secured around my torso, pulling me up on my toes as he hugged me.

"I love you, Jace Wayland, and if you die in there-" I broke off, unable to finish my sentence.
"I won't die," he whispered. "I wouldn't do that to you." His voice was rough with emotion.
I leaned back to cup his face with my hands and look him in his eyes. He was so beautiful. The sharp lines of his face that made up his structured jaw and cheekbones, his long lashes that were casting shadows down his face. His one eye that wasn't totally blue but instead had a ring of brown on the bottom. All of it was beautiful, a work of art. When Jace couldn't hold back any longer, he took ahold of my chin and pressed my mouth to his.