10. Shadows and Dust

The next day came peacefully. The sun rose to shed light through the thin layer of clouds above the city.
Clary woke me up when she rapped loudly on my bedroom door. Thankfully I was already awake and dressed so I didn't have to yell at her for being so noisy.

I walked to my door and pulled it open.
The small girl was looking up at me anxiously and it made me frown.
"What's going on?" I wondered.
"Alec's coming with us to Iris Rouse today," Clary told me quickly. "He agreed to help me get my mom back."
"Really?" That seemed completely un-like Alec. But I supposed that grief could lead anyone to do things they never normally would have done. "Alright. Give me ten minutes, I'll meet you in the lobby."

I shut my door once Clary was gone from sight. I leaned up against my wall and found myself wondering how I got myself into this situation. As soon as I made that deal with Iris Rouse, I knew it had been a huge mistake. The only Warlock I fully trusted was Magnus Bane and even he had advised against doing this.
But the past was the past and I wasn't someone who went back on their word.

Clary and Alec were just entering the lobby by the time I made my way down there.
I had managed to avoid Jace and Isabelle but something told me Jace would know where I was.
The three of us left the Institute and started walking towards the Warlock's house. On the way, Clary briefed Alec on what had happened so far. But she left out a few parts, I couldn't help but notice.

We reached Iris's house around noon and by then the sun had broken through the clouds, although the day remained somewhat chilly. Fall was approaching.

The door opened when Clary knocked loudly. But, to my confusion, Iris wasn't the one who answered the door. Instead it was a younger lady, in her mid-twenties, wearing scrubs. One of the first things I noticed about her was the fact that she was pregnant. Very pregnant.
"Are you here to see Doctor Rouse?" The woman asked softly. Clary glanced back at Alec and I before responding, "Uh, yes. I believe she was expecting me. My name is Clary."

"I was indeed expecting you!" Iris's voice rang from inside. The pregnant woman stepped back and opened the door all the way so we could see Iris standing in the middle of her foyer. She wore a large grin like the first time I saw her. "It was only a matter of when," Iris continued. Her face lit up when she saw Alec. "Oh! I see you've brought a friend. Your boyfriend?"
The three reactions Iris received were all very different. I smiled and ducked my head down so Iris wouldn't see that I found that funny, Alec wrinkled his nose in disgust and dryly said, "No!", while Clary politely smiled and shook her head.
"Well, whoever you are, leave your weapon outside," Iris said, stepping back to allow us to enter her house. Alec frowned at her and she picked up on his hesitation.
"Any Warlock worth a damn can see through Shadowhunter glamours. But don't worry, they'll be safe in the alcove."
Alec didn't have a choice but to reveal his bow and quiver to the naked eye and slip them off his shoulder. He set them by the door.

Iris smiled at him and started leading the three of us down the long hallway.
"Nurse Lee will help you with the paperwork, my dear," Iris said, turning around to look at me. At this, Alec paused.
"Uh, paperwork?" He asked.
"Yes. Just a simple pinprick to draw blood for the oath," Iris explained. "For the favor she promised me."
Alec's eyes widened as if to say, "Oh, really?" and he turned to look down at me.
"I don't know about any favor," he said coldly. "What is she talking about, Cara?"
"It's fine, Alec. It's instead of payment. I'll owe her a favor whenever she needs it," I said calmly to try to reassure him.
"Does Jace know about this?"
"No," I admitted. "But it doesn't matter. Clary needs this."

"Delightful!" Iris explained, eager to continue with the transaction. "You two can follow me. Your friend will have to stay here."
"No!" Alec refused. "I'm not leaving their sides."
Iris looked dismayed. "Oh, well, then I'm afraid I can't do this. His energy is too turbulent. I need calm and he...is not calm."
"Okay, I'm going to need to see some credentials," Alec demanded all of a sudden. "Dear," Iris smiled condescendingly at Alec. "If a lady has concealed her Warlock mark, it is for a good reason."
Alec sighed deeply and rolled his eyes to the ceiling.