3. The Descent Into Hell...

Simon, ever the clueless mundane, followed Clary into the Institute without another word of complaint. He was still completely confused, I was sure, but judging by the look Jace had given him, he was finished asking questions. At least for now.
When Jace, Clary, and I stepped into the Institute, we saw the Institute as it was. But Simon still saw an abandoned church that looked for all the world that it could be the next setting of a horror film. The mundane's eyebrows drew together ever so slightly when he saw all the rubble and debris laying on the dark church floor.

Jace rolled his eyes at Simon and pushed his jacket sleeve up, grabbing his stele out of his back pocket. He swiftly drew a rune on the inside of his forearm, grimacing only a little when the stele touched his skin.
When Simon saw this, he turned to Clary with a panicked expression on his face.
"I know," she whispered to him, "just trust me."
"He's like, burning himself," Simon whispered back.
Before Clary could respond, Jace put his stele away and grabbed Simon's wrist. Simon jerked away as soon as he came in contact with Jace.
"Woah, buddy, you're not my type, man. I don't even know-" Simon's hurried protests soon cut off as he saw the Institute come to life.
I had never seen it happen myself but I could only imagine what it looked like: the huge chandelier appearing out of nowhere, the stained glass windows turning different colors.

"Where....where are we?" Simon was finally able to speak after quite a few minutes. Jace smiled his annoyingly cocky smile and didn't say a word.
"Clary...is there a war going on...that I don't know about?" Simon wondered to his best friend. The confused and bewildered expression was now mixed with a little bit of fear.
I smiled to the frightened mundane and started walking into the Institute towards the other Shadowhunters in the foyer.
"There is now," I called to Simon over my shoulder. Hurried footsteps behind me told me that the mundane was running to catch up with me.
"Wait, wait, I need some answers. What is this place? There's a lot of gear in here, what'd they do-rob a tech shop?"
I slowed my pace so Simon could reach me. When I turned to look at him, he was busy turning in circles, trying to take everything in.
"No, this is our own equipment," I said with humor, "and this place is called the Institute."

Jace and Clary reached us and Jace went directly to the closest monitor. He turned the small screen on the upper right hand side of the monitor so that he could see it. Within a few seconds, he had directed the outside security cameras to face the Institute's front doors.
There were two men standing at the entrance to the church. Both were wearing dark clothing that shielded their faces from the cameras but I didn't need to see their faces to know they were members of the Circle. I swore under my breath and pinched the bridge of my nose. Thankfully, Clary and Simon hadn't seen, as they were still having their own discussion.

"So what, these cold-blooded killers are going to help us now?" Simon asked what seemed to be his hundredth question in thirty seconds.
"They aren't killers," Clary corrected, "and they're protecting us."
"Well, we're protecting you specifically," I told her, "we still don't really know the mundane."
"Simon," the kid said," my name is Simon. Use it."
"She doesn't care," Jace said rudely, shooting Simon another one of his smiles that showed his perfect teeth. Clary glared at Jace and pulled Simon away from the two of us to talk to him more kindly.

"They're Shadowhunters. They protect the humans and kill the demons," I heard her explain.
"Demons. That makes so much sense! Because demons are running around the streets of New York!" Simon said sarcastically.
I smiled excitedly up at Jace. "He's getting it!"
The blond gave a quiet scoff and turned his attention away from Simon and Clary.
"He better be. Or else he's going to be one sad mundane when his girlfriend is out-"
"I've been told that she isn't his girlfriend," I interrupted with another smile.
"Right, and Alec isn't my parabati," Jace raised an eyebrow at me. I stifled a laugh as Simon and Clary returned to us.