makumi mashanu neshanu

CHITAMBISO |
TOY

AMINA PUSHED open Jaebum's front door slowly as she looked ahead to catch him lifelessly watching the people on the screen ahead of them.

It was dark in Jaebum's living room. The gray glow from the television reflected off the man's face and it made it easy for Amina to see that he was unhappy. His scowl and clenched jaw was enough evidence.

"Jaebum," Amina started, walking into the centre of the room behind the couch. She rested her hand on his shoulder before pausing. "I'm sorry."

"Amina, I don't get—" Jaebum cut himself off and sunk further into his seat, sighing. "How you could have possibly thought it was a good idea to give somebody that hates me information they could use against me."

"I've been saying sorry for the past two days," Amina said in exasperation. "Please know I talked to him and he said he wouldn't do anything."

"It doesn't matter does it? You don't really believe him do you? Have an argument with him once and he could blackmail you with me. How do you think that makes me feel?" Jaebum rubbed his forehead. "Knowing he could use something against you?"

Amina put her bag on the table that the lamp shared before carefully maneuvering herself around the dark place to meet Jaebum on the couch. "Jaebum, you know that Jackson is not truly like that. He was upset—"

"Why do you perceive people the way you do?" Jaebum interrupted suddenly, appearing genuinely interested in her response. He even shrugged along with the question. "You seem to believe that just because you think you know someone that they can't change suddenly or even accidentally do something they don't mean to and hurt you? Why are you so trusting? So childishly naïve?"

"I said I was sorry," Amina spoke lowly through gritted teeth. Her heart was starting to speed up but it wasn't from any positive emotions. It was quite the opposite. She was getting rilled up. Jaebum could see that and he was pushing her. Why on Earth was he pushing her? "You don't have to be an ass about it."

Jaebum chuckled upon seeing the corners of her lips frown and he leaned forward, bringing his cup up to his mouth. "I mean, I almost find it funny— laughable even— how you let people say what they want and act how they want even though it makes you uncomfortable sometimes. But inside you're an angry person. I could see it from the first day I met you."

Amina looked to the cup he placed back onto the table. He was drunk. He must be really drunk to be talking to her like that.

"Are you seriously doing all this because of Jackson? You're acting a hypocrite right now—"

"Again, why do you do it? Do you think people will leave you if you tell them you don't like something?"

"Jaebum—"

"Would you call it pathetic? Pitiful?"

"Jaebum!" Amina stood up. "Look, I—I get that you're drunk but that's no reason to talk to me like that! What's come over you? Is this how you've been thinking about me since? Was I just some plaything to you?"

Jaebum stood too and stepped closer to Amina, which made her furrow her eyebrows at his proximity. "I'm going to bed."

"You're not making any sense here! I don't get how me telling my best friend about the boyfriend I thought was great equates to you nitpicking everything you ever told me wasn't a flaw in your eyes! Jaebum, for God's sake, if you truly feel this way, please just tell me so I can leave right now so then I can go home and hear Aminé and Jackson say that they told me so."

Jaebum fell quiet and stared at the carpet beneath his feet. He took a deep breath and looked to Amina. He had to do this now.

"I truly feel this way."