[Edo] Hughes x Reader: Heart Flutters

"Albert, it's not my fault your name is really Duchess-Fluff-a-Puff-69. And it's also not my fault Hughes blackmailed you again, just learn to be a man." (Y/N) was consulting her brother 'Albert' about his problems with Hughes, one of the Royal Army Captains.

"He's just so mean!" Albert proceeded to whine.

"He's your boss. Plus, you don't always need to come to my house every time you have a problem."

"But-" Albert gave (Y/N) puppy dog eyes, "Please, talk to him, sis..."

(Y/N) sighed, "What good would it even do getting me involved?"

      "It'll give you an excuse to talk to him, you know you like him~. And you know he's your friend, he'll listen to you, " he wiggled his eyebrows, and after that Albert whined some more until she finally agreed.

---

      Still, walking to the palace (Y/N) was sulking. It was stupid: making his sister deal with his problems. Duch-er-Albert had always been that way. He was always sending her to take care of his issues.

       (Y/N) exhaled as she reached the palace, the guards all knew her there, so she was just let in. She made her way up to Hughes, stopping every once in awhile to say hi to a worker passing by. Finally, when she made it to Hughes's office, (Y/N) knocked and then waited patiently for him to open the door.

      The door swung open to reveal Hughes, who looked like he was having a hard time: his hair was all ruffled, he had terribly dark circles under his eyes too, not to mention he was as pale as snow. He looked at (Y/N) and gave a genuine, tired smile, "Hey (Y/N), come on in." Hughes stepped to the side to let her in, and closed the door behind her. "What brings you here?"

      It melted (Y/N)'s heart that even in the sleep-deprived, over-worked form Hughes was in, he still let her in to hear what she wanted to say. Hughes walked around to his chair and motioned (Y/N) to sit in the chair in front of his desk. "Al's being a baby again."

"Ah, that." Hughes remained silent for a minute, "That's not really what you want to talk about, is it?"

(Y/N) shook her head, "He begged me to come, I didn't really plan anything to talk about. Hey, why are you so tired looking?" She asked in a concerned voice.

      "I've just been in the office for awhile, I don't know. There hasn't been anymore work and usual, I just think I'm getting sick." Hughes shrugged. It was then when (Y/N) noticed the growing pile of tissues in the corner of the room, surrounding the trash can.

       (Y/N) motioned to Hughes to lean forward, he obeyed, and she pressed her lips against his forehead to take his temperature. "You're burning up. I'll tell Mystogan you're leaving, in the meantime, gather your things. I'm taking you with me, hon."

"Wait, does Duchess-Fluff-a-Puff-69 live with you?" Hughes was generally concerned that Albert would see him in his weak state, yet he still smiled when he jokingly said her brother's birth name.

"No, he doesn't, he just barges into my house when he gets mad at you," she gently smiled, "and I mean it Hughes, you be ready to leave when I'm back."

---

       Hughes was peacefully sleeping, his lips slightly parted, and he was breathing lightly. (Y/N)'s heart fluttered as she walked by with basic cold medication: Vicks, tissues, Dayquil and Nyquil, warm tea, and soup. (Y/N) then sat in a chair at the side of the bed and started reading her book until Hughes awoke.

"(Y/N)," he whined, "can you get some Vicks on my chest? My arms ache too much to do it myself. Just take of my shirt for me too, would you?"

     "Sure, you big weirdo," she got up from her chair and walked to her bed to remove his shirt, which was harder than expected, since he would barely move his arms. (Y/N) then applied the Vicks to him and took his temperature again. "You're still really feverish, here, take some Nyquil and have some tea and soup."

(Y/N) headed off to get the things, but Hughes caught her by the shirt. "Hold on," he said wrapping his arms around her. "After that will you lie with me?"

She smiled, "Of course."

"And (Y/N)?"

"Mhm?"

"I love you." Hughes said sweetly.

(Y/N)'s heart fluttered and she flushed red, "I-I love you too." He can always make my heart flutter, I love this man more than he might ever know.