Midnight x Reader: Wouldn't You Rather

A/N: This one is loosely based off of "The Take Over, The Breaks Over" By Fall Out Boy.

    It had been weeks since (Y/N) had found out about her husband's cheating. It had also been weeks since she had met Midnight, formerly a wizard for the Oracion Seis and now a wizard for Jellal Fernandes's guild.

    It was just after (Y/N) had walked in on Max cheating when she was sent off with Team Natsu to fight alongside Crime Sorciere to defeat the dark guild Onyx Merit. During the fight, groups got split and (Y/N) found herself with Midnight. Before long, nightfall came and it was time for the pair of mages to find a place to camp.

    When they did, (Y/N) found it hard to eat the winged fish they had caught not only because of the taste, but because the thoughts of her husband, Max and that other woman. Midnight had offered to collect berries and nuts for the two of them instead, but (Y/N) shook her head, insisting it was nothing. Once the two lied down to get some sleep, (Y/N) kept tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable because of her own mind.

    "(Y/N), something is obviously on your mind. Maybe it would help if you told me about it?" Midnight had said, offering her a open ear.

    Sighing she opened up to him about all of the things that she had discovered. The teary eyed girl confided her deepest worries and hopes into Midnight. "Do you think Max will come to his senses to save our marriage, or not? I can't help but wonder what he's doing right now."

   "Listen, seasons change, but people like that don't. It's probably best to not think about what he's doing now." Midnight heeded his opinion on the matter.

---

    Back in present time, (Y/N) now turned to Midnight whenever she needed a friend to hear what she had to say. Getting things about the cheating off her chest was a lot easier when she wasn't talking to a guildmate. She brought up divorce today, stating that if both of them were unhappy with the marriage, then that would be the best option. The only problem with that solution was the publicity it would bring to them. (Y/N) was a cover model for Sorcerer Weekly.

    "There are more solutions than consoling and divorce, dear one. Wouldn't you rather be a widow than a divorcee?"

    (Y/N) eyes widened, "You don't mean, do you?"

    "I do. It's better publicity to be the widow than the victim of a problematic marriage. Listen, if you want to think about it for awhile, you know where to find me. He hurt you, someone very dear to my heart, and now he had to pay. I never have fought fair, and I'm not about to start."

---

    Now covered by shadows, (Y/N) and Max were on their way home from the last dinner he would ever eat. After contemplating the offer, (Y/N) wound up saying yes to Midnight. " In the dark we'll be well concealed; it will be too late for anyone to see a thing."

   The weapon of their choice: a gun. As the so-called lovers walk came to a stop, Midnight aimed the weapon. The only thing visible to Max were the two smiles on their faces as the bullet ripped through his skull. The acting part of the plan came now, (Y/N) would pretend she witnessed the cold blooded murder of her now deceased husband, and Midnight would pick her up from the Magic Council.

    Midnight and (Y/N) went through the rest of it together. Wake, Funeral, Burial. When (Y/N) was interviewed about it during one of her modeling sessions, Midnight was there. With every step the two of them took, the other was there. Growing closer and closer to each other.

    Midnight had know the day of the mission that (Y/N) was the one. The one he would do anything to protect. The one he would spend his life with. Deep inside, he was happy that Max had done what he did; it gave him the shot to get his dream girl. It took all of him to go back to the ways of darkness that haunted his past, but what was one more sin to be forgiven? All that mattered was the happiest of (Y/N), he would gladly break any of his morals even just to be with her.

---

    Yesterday, it marked two years without Max, and today it marked the beginning of something new. Today Midnight asked the big question to (Y/N), promising he would never cheat on the Fairy Tail member. He vowed that he would protect her at all costs, and he would never hurt her.

   On the day of the wedding, smiles traveled through the guild hall like the speed of light. Weddings always got the guild all riled up, with drinks and words about the two who were to about to spend the rest of their lives waking up together. At the altar the couple's smiles were never ending. Nobody would ever had thought that those smiles were the last thing that Max saw.

   By the middle of the reception, Natsu was dancing on the tables with Happy, Erza had eaten ten pieces of cake with Jellal's assistance, Gray was barely in any close, and the others were all having a good time. Cobra now learned some new information that he wish hadn't, but then again, who did you think was telling this story?

   Who would have thought that the thing that ruined a marriage would also start one, one that was full of trust, care, and pure love. In the end, wouldn't you rather?