An Over Reaction

I got to dance class early as usual and I ran up to Cyrus, he smiled at me and clapped his hands "Hurry up undress and stretch out. To which I excitedly and rapidly complied. While I was energetic and optimistic about the opportunity to dance with Amora, I was also hesitant, but I tried to keep that at the back of my mind. Cyrus ran the routine with me, "What a quick learner you are now you just have to perform, remember the things I taught you about attitude, sass, and the most important sex appeal?"

I laughed and answered "Yea."

"The girls are gonna love you today Kia, he erupted in giggles I bet your gonna act like you learned that on the spot to impress Amora right?" a question to which I just smiled and then popped him a wink before prancing off for a for drink in the hall. People started to make their way to class and that’s when I saw Amora just at the end of the corridor. Her hair was flat ironed bone straight today and I could see her baby hairs running around her hair line, ... I could swear she had looked at me in that instance, so like a reflex I pretended not to see her. I walked into a door way where I couldn't be seen. When the hall way cleared I could hear her talking.  

There was someone with her.

Amora! The person shouted.

Huh? Yes.

My heart suddenly started racing, should I move, should I stay right here, there was nowhere to go. If they were to walk down the hall at this very moment they'd see me and know I was listening to their conversation. "All I remember was standing there and listening to their words very carefully.

"I know you don't know me but..."

What! I mumbled to myself. I knew I wasn't alone. I poked my head out to take a look the guy was really tall but thin and he stood at a distance slightly hunched. 

"Would you like to go out some time?" he continued his voice deep. My heart dropped. He had the balls to do what I've been dying to do all along and I was envious. More importantly I was afraid she'd say yes. At that very moment she uttered the words.

"I'm sorry I have a boyfriend."

Oh. I'm sorry. and the stranger took off without hesitation quickly down the hall. I heard her sigh. At that moment I guess my heart stopped I pressed my back against the wall and squatted to the floor and covered my face with my flooded arms. Not to hide myself from her but to hide the terrines in my eyes. I was young. Those were four simple words but each of them imploded on my chest as if to say that my devotion was a waste of time because I allowed someone else to get a hold of her. I was no better than the very stranger that had the guts to ask the question. A question to which I couldn't find the answer from her facebook page nor friends. I heard her footsteps getting closer and so my heart started pounding again. I tried to sniffle up the tears and the hurt when suddenly she called my name. 

Kai?

I nodded my head without picking it up. 

Are you okay? She asked.

I got up cover my eyes partly with my bangs and I thought I was okay.  So I smiled, ... but she didn't smile back. I could see the concern on her face and I guess she could see the shame on mines,

"Kai are you okay?" 

Like an idiot I kept smiling. " Uh... yea umm I'll see you later okay, tell Cyrus... that I .... and just like that I marched down the hallway hardly completing my sentence. In every word I could hear each shrill of embarrassment. Bare foot I paced down the stairs trying to get home as fast as possible. I left my shoes that I had worn just for her, my bag with my phone, but I wasn't turning back to face them, no I wasn't turning back to face her. It was still raining and so I made off into the streets. Distort, bare foot , shameful by the time I got to the closest Korean store I asked the clerk for a phone call. With the redness of my eyes and my missing shoes he agreed without hesitation, assuming I had been beat up and robbed. 

When I got the phone I called my dad to pick me up. While I waited all I thought about was how bad it felt to love someone who didn't love you back. That day I made up my mind to never go back to dance class.