People Talk

Over the course of the next few weeks a tragedy would happen. I was slowly healing from the injury, but I made it my business to text her each night. You know small things like

Is your aunt still upset?

Did I get you in trouble?

Goodnight.

Are you alright?

Have you been feeling well?

Are you going to the Winter Formal?

I felt like a monster. Constantly looking at my phone, waiting for her to call, or to text. I waited to feel it's vibration in class, see it's light as I laid in bed at night, hear our song when I was lost, but I was afraid that, it would never come. And the truth is, I never got an answer to any of those messages. Amora was eve and I was Adam. She was the missing rib along my cage and the void was one I couldn't bare, not at eighteen. Vanity and I ended up winning 3rd place in the couple competition, thanks to me getting hurt. Not only did we get good grades, but we also got gift cards. It was worth it, I valued her opinion and we had become very good friends.

The tide was turning for me. I vividly remember sitting in BC calculus and over hearing a muffled conversation that was along the lines of.

"Amora left the school."

[The words hit me like the shards of that glass. I immediately denied it. No she wouldn't!]

"Why?"

[Because of me?]

"I heard she got into some private school."

[That...]

"But it's our last year."

[that......]

"I guess the school was really good."

[BITCH!!]

I remember tapping my pencil trying to ignore it, trying to tune out there conversation, but I just kept getting angry.

"Kai."

"HUh!"

"Step out for water." My teacher insisted.

Amora's aunt was the conclusion. I got up and marched out into the hallway. My aimless stroll, turned into a enraged pace back and forth. I struck a locker and I remember the noise being so loud I hid in a dark corner from one of the teachers who came out to inspect. I hurt my hand pretty good. Somewhere along the line, I was hit with a second round of denial which had me running down flights of steps to the main office. "It's just gossip!" that's what I told myself, that's what I had to tall myself, that's what I wanted to believe. It's what I had to believe. I wan't into the main office flashed a fake smile.

"Um excuse me, Ms.Cod wanted me to pick up her attendance record for the day."

"Oh well of course one minute dear."

As I stood there the smile fade off my face that is until the ancient white secretary's faded blue eyes rolled back over in my direction. Ms.Cod was Amora's English teacher, and English was a class I knew she'd never miss unless she were absent, which was rare. With my growing impatience, I slowly began to tap my fingers against the great oak desk. My teacher was probably wondering about my ass being missing from the class.

"I found it!"

"Oh! Uh thank you." I said grabbing the file and then heading back off down the hall. I skimmed through the attendance record and realized that she'd been absent for the past three days. I bit my lip closed the file and slid it under some random classroom door. I ran back to class. Just to put my head down.

Somehow, Amora managed to be the center of some kind of talk around school and Deroy told me every word.

"I don't know what's true or false... but I heard she started getting home schooled"

"Really?"

"That's not all tho, I heard some chicks saying she got pregnant and had to get home schooled because her bump was starting to show."

"No, that's not true."

I never did get to tell Deroy about that night.

"Well they said that's the only reason she would leave senior year."

"But then again one of her friends told me that in Amora's culture they have arranged marriages and that she left because she's not suppose to go to college anyway."

"What!"

"That would be crazy right!"

"Deroy are you sure about these things?"

"It's all talk Kai, but one truth can have many lies, you know."

As far as I knew none of those rumors could be true. Amora could not have slept with me and have been months pregnant, no way in hell! Her body was .... it was impossible. She's not that kind of girl. Arranged marriage sounds extreme like something out of a movie and although I knew little other the the color of Amora's skin I was convinced that I hadn't found the answer. Maybe I was the answer. Maybe I wanted to know the answer because I was hoping that somewhere in all that talk someone would said Kai. Someone would say Kai slept with Amora and got caught and her aunt pulled her out of the school. Maybe this was the truth, but even if it was I didn't want to be the reason.

I went home to the confines of my room that weekend. I wasn't in the mode to talk to anyone so I buried myself in thought and school work. My laptop sat permanently open that weekend, I sat hopelessly refreshing her facebook page, only to find each time that nothing changed. Sunday night I was so disillusioned with the fact that my story was over, that everything I had worked for, the fact that Amora had vanished from my world almost completely and the only thing keeping in it was, my computer and my heart. I was furious! My parents left to go to dinner that night and the house was mines. I sat on my bed and I felt absolutely consumed with rage, watching my laptop from across the room. I got up and ripped from it's charger and then flung it across my room, it flew into my glass mirror and took my dresser with it. The glass came tumbling down and my laptop was out of commission, she was gone. I cleaned my room and went to sleep early that night.

Blake asked Vanity to the winter formal and I was happy for her. But my life seemed allot less optimistic. Amora wasn't gone. the next few days at school were among my most detestable memories of my youth, my eyes would grow weary looking for someone who wasn't there. My heart left me to fend for myself and I lost every battle there after.

I sat down for lunch with Deroy who actually confirmed Amora's transfer. That marked the end of my my high school career, Stalking Amora Davis. She was indeed gone! I didn't cry, I didn't see a need to anymore. No amount of tears could bring her back or express the burden I held for the past three years. So I like the many other guys my age, just moved on.

The very next day I sat at lunch with Deroy and Kelly and I grabbed Kelly's hand. I remember holding her small hand as I ate my lunch with my other, I didn't feel anything in-particular, but she was there, and I could see her blushing cheeks and the charming features of her face. She looked exactly the same as when I had first met her pail, thin, with admirable long black hair. After examining her face for what seemed like two minutes. I asked bluntly "You still wanna go to formal?"

Deroy got up and left us at the table. I guess he was running from the conversation.

She smiled broadly "Yea but only if you want to."

"I'll take you."

She kissed me and wrapped her hands around my torso. "Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me, I'm a selfish guy."

"Well your my selfish guy."

I ruffled her hair and tossed out our trays.

"Lets go." I demanded to which she happily followed. I was always reminded that she liked me... this much.

From that moment on the school knew Kelly and I, as an Item. Amora had been dragged out of my high school just three weeks before and life continued without her.

I continued without her...