In her Absence

It was the beginning of the new semester and what had happened back in the summer was still haunting me. I never went back to Essence dance, but I did continue to talk to Cyrus. He didn't force me to do anything I didn't want to do and he delivered all the stuff I left behind at the studio to my house. I didn't want to see Amora, but I couldn't help thinking about her. 

I threw myself into my school work and thought little of anything else. During this time I met a girl by the name of Kelly Li. She was about 5'4" and very pail. Her family lived in my community and they insisted upon us going and returning from school together. We grew very close and she became my closest advocate... out side of my parents that is. Kelly was very quiet around my friends, but she never had any problems speaking her mind infront of me. I remeber the first time we met.

I had to make the journey that every boy and man dreads. The journey that no man or boy should ever have to make. Upon my father hearing the news he left for work and requested overtime. It was my mom's time of the month and I was thinking of any reason to get out of the house. She sat on the toilet in solitude moaning and wailing and sometime shouting me or my dad's name. Whenever my mother got like this my dad and I made a habit of calling her the Toilet Banshee~. But today there was nothing to laugh about the bathroom was hazordous and mom was occupying the toilet so what was I to do.

"Kiiiiiiia~!"

"Yes! I shouted marching to the door as if to give my mother support." All the while my bladder was bursting.

"Kiaaa~! Can you run to the store and get me was PADS? A maxi pad okay." 

"MOMMMY NOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE! I'll buy toliet paper instead please mom don't do this to me!"

"Look! Kia what did I say!" I could hear her rising from the seat and like a reflex I flinched.

"Fine!" I grabbed the money from her purse and made my way outside. 

When I got outside the sun was shinning and few people were about and so I grabbed my bike and made it for this vacant house, down the street. This house had been on sale for years and Dad and I often stopped my for openhouses just to use the bathroom. Today the house was locked so I made it round back and where there was a small pond inhabitted by these huge ugly fish. I aim for this orange one's eye as he hit the surface and I let the trail of tears float right out of me; when suddenly I heard some body say gently "What are you doing?" My first instinct was to look at the fish I had violated and once I realized it wasn't him, my heart collapsed. I carefully put my self together, standing their stiff and without turning around to face the voice, I ackwardly looked over my shoulder trying not to reveal too much of my face, of which was 100% red with embarrasment. 

When I turned around I saw a frail looking girl around my age. She had long black hair, and lots of make up on. Once I found out she was a girl I tried to make a break for it, but Just as I was going to make it out of the drive way, I felt a heavy thump at the back of my head and I was down and out. I don't remeber much after that but turns out she had threw a flash light to the back of my head and I had passed out upon hitting the concrete. When I woke up I was inside, layed out on a couch in the den. I remember being very nervous thinking they would call my mother and send me to jail. 

"Are you okay?" She gasped as I got up from the plastic cover sofa. 

I nodded rubbing the dent in the back of my head.

"I'm really sorry for hurting you, I got scared and before I knew you were laid out on the drive way."

I nodded accepting the apology 

"You don't have to be afraid my parents aren't home so this was just an accident, okay."

"My eyes lite up with hope, Thanks." I mumbled. 

She was really nice to me and sent me off with a plate of food. Before I knew it our families where going to church together and she was alowed to stay over and I was suppose to be that big brother figure. Kelly's parents transfered her into my school and thats how our friendship began, she never told her parents about the actual way we met, instead she told them a much more pleasing story that I had come down to the house to welcome them to the neighboorhood and even helped to unpack some boxes.

Now that I think about it my mom never did get those Pads...

But any way, Kelly and I'd often sit in the library and do our homework. However on this particular day I remember looking for a book on Astronomy and just as I removed it from the shelf, spotting Amora, and her alone, walking into the library. I started breathing heavily and I didn't know weather to stay there and wait or run out of there guns blazing. I didn't want to talk to her about what had happened that summer. She looked for a place to sit and as she aimed for her tabled I aimed for the door. I made it just fine, and unnoticed at that, but I forgot something. I wouldn't realize what that thing was untill my next class, I had left my backpack in the library with Kelly. I hope she wasn't upset. The more I thought about it the more distrot I became. Did Amora see me? Does she know I'm avoiding her? I hope she doesn't hate me? 

By the end of the day Kelly was waiting outside with my stuff. "Thank you!" I said giving a quick hug of gratitude. Where did you go? she asked.

Oh I got hungry and ... I left my money in my locker .. so you know. I lied.

Oh okay. Kai the school is having a dance for juniors I bought the tickets after you left me in the library. Are you taking anyone? 

"Why'd you do that? I wasn't planning on going."

"Oh my bad, ... but the ticket is nonrefunable."

"No worries, you can resell it for a cheaper price." I said nonchalantly. 

"But kia I'm shy, just come to the dance!" She pleaded.

"Okay, I'll sell the ticket for you." I said ending the conversation as I slipped the ticket from her hand.

I shot my touge at her. She smiled and we carried on. Kelly was happy, I was trying to be happy and I had no idea how Amora felt.