Couples Day

It was junior year and I wasn't the same guy I was freshman year, if anything I had learned to care less. I'm not too sure how I feel about Amora anymore, but I do know she's often on my mind. Puberty hit me pretty good I was 6'4", overall my body really carved it self out. My dad was sending me to a hairstylist at least once a month, Kelly was shopping for my clothes, which I guess was an improvement on that part. But I was still the same person. That shy insecure kid that learned all there was to know about love and loss. The guy named kai, who was still living and breathing; despite the numerous times he thought he was going to die from a broken heart. 

I was Alive.

Just shy of the up coming dance, was the arrival of couples day at my high school and all the couples pranced around attached by the hip, decked out in there matching outfits, and displaying abnormal levels of affection for one another. Trying their very best to make everyone around them unhappy. I hated it. It was like the school board was purposely trying to make us feel more lonely than we already were. But what was the worst, was that all the teachers had made an agreement to make couples of their own, to make things more exciting for the up coming dance. In the spirit of the festivities the teachers took us down to the auditorium and explained the rules of the game. So we (the whole single population of the junior class) wrote our names on pieces of paper and threw them into a hat, followed by a in-dept survey about who we where and the people we were attracted to, during a two hour long assembly.

A teacher taking the mic...

"Listen up! listen up! Everybody we've never done this before, but you know we teachers wanna have fun too. So we'll be drawing your names and when your name is drawn you will come up on stage select a t-shirt color that signifies what kind of couple you are and then have a seat. The person who is called with you is your new boyfriend or girlfriend, no ifs and or butts."

I can't lie after hearing Amora say she was seeing someone, I couldn't care less about the activity. The crowd of lonely teens shouted with passion and disgust, some with threats and others with anxiousness. I looked around to see if Amora was even present, but I ended up making eye contact with Kelly who was sitting on the opposite side of the auditorium with her class mates. The teachers regained my attention.

" I repeat this activity is not about having a boy friend or girlfriend, but about socializing with people you don't know and learning to communicate out side your comfort zone."

Another teacher interjects "Yes exactly and may I add that in the end there will be winners!"

the crowd confused began to mumble.

"Yes the winners will be selected by we the staff. We will select the three couples that we felt were the most memorable, collaborative, and healthy, relationship wise, for the duration of the next two weeks, so before we start calling you please answer these surveys and then pass um up. Does everyone understand."

The crowd shouted excitedly " Yes!"

I laughed to myself about what a funny game this was and all the weird couples that could come out of it.

I was minding my own business, well at least I think I was, when suddenly I was hugged from behind. My heart skipped a beat; although I managed to maintain a calm exterior. 

I found you! Why so serious? I was a bit startled until I realized it was Kelly.

Oh is that what I looked like?

Whats wrong?

Nothing, I'm just thinking about stuff, you know. Was Amora even here I wondered. Name after name was called and they picked from boxes of pink blue or green t-shirts. 

The crowd erupted in a frenzy of shouts, booooing and of course the turn up crew's applause. I couldn't help laughing some of the couples were ridiculous. Jocks and nerds, rich kids and poor kids, guys and guys. If I were standing I'd be on my knees. Just in that moment I glance three rows away and there Amora was with her friends. Was she here just to spectate and get a laugh or was she single again, I tried not to stare too hard. 

I laid back in my seat Kelly's arms still wrapped around my shoulders made me a bit uncomfortable, but I didn't want to say anything. Do you think they'll make us a couple? she asked. I doubt. I responded carelessly she got quiet.

"This is so stupid, I'm going to tell my parents to write a letter, there teachers, they can't make me do this." She argued. As I sat half listening half scouting the room.  

What about you Kai? Opt out with me. She in a soft-spoken tone demanded. Knowing she couldn't see my face I rolled my eyes and replied. "Nah I'm okay." 

Another teacher takes to the mic "This is a contest we will be observing you couples closely and trust me if your boring you will be ignored." The teachers laugh among-st them selves."You see at the end of the two weeks you will write reports on your experience with your partner." 

What! NOOOOOOOOO! the crowd interjecting ESSAY MY ASSS! bOOOOOOO! This game was turning into a project. How could they. Those tricky bastards, I thought to myself amused.  

One of the coolest teachers I know then takes the mic and says "I don't see what's the problem we just helped 90 percent of you get dates to the dance, you can't write four paragraphs of gratitude on a piece of paper." He said nonchalantly, the girls of course gave him all the applause he needed. His name was Mr.Shards he was twenty-five and very well liked. At the end of the day we pick the winners give you a grade. Hey and don't be fake either, cause we teachers can see it from a mile away, like those plagiarized essays you guys hand in for English. The crowd erupts again. Right Deroy he adds calling people out. You too, I don't know why your laughing Samantha you got a 55 in my class last semester. Ahhhhhhh!

He needs a neck brace for all the  NECK HE GIVING. THEY JOKED BACK.

Then finally my name was called I hesitated to stand after hearing my partner's name Vanity Noemi. Everyone was looking at me and my heart began to beat a lot faster than it was just a moment ago. I got on stage and there she was approaching me. Vanity Noemi a quiet girl from about three of my classes. She was pretty, but I never really notice her before. I let her pick the color. She picked green We were now apart of a team, as the audience roared we stood awkwardly beside each other. I trying so stay as clam as possible and she polietly smiling. We wrote our names down in a big black book just before being forced to hug on stage. Uhhhh. the crowd reacted. As I stepped off stage with Vanity, I quickly glanced at Amora and took Vanity back to where I was sitting. She smiled at me like she use to.

Kelly was gone by the time I got back to my seat. She must have gotten scared or maybe she went to the bathroom I told myself. After the making of about a dozen more couples, I found myself staring a hole into the back of Amora's head thinking Does she care? Why is she here? When Vanity then grabs my attention by tugging at my sleeves. She whispered in my ear I want a good grade. To which I whispered back "and I want to make a good impression." From then on we were in agreement, we were going to be the couple to beat.

Sincerely Vanity and Kai