crush | pt. 11

The next week, Genesis David was officially single.

The week after that, he was sending flowers and poetry up to my job and continued doing so every Monday and Friday. He'd take me out for lunch on Wednesdays and join me for a movie night on Saturdays.

Every Tuesday and Sunday, I'd give him sketches and paintings of the flowers he had sent earlier in the week. On Thursdays, we wouldn't get to physically see each other due to a change of shifts at his seasonal job. Even then, we'd get to sneak in a phone call or a text thread.

This particular Thursday night, he was trying to persuade me to go to dinner with him, Saturday night rather than our usual movie night. "You already spend enough money on me, G. I'm completely fine with a movie and some hot wings," I wasn't budging on my standpoint.

"Nasira, come on now. Let me wine and dine you at least once before the summer's over," he stated.
"Genesis, that's really sweet and everything, but I'm fine. . . Seriously, I'm fine," I assured him.
"When's the next time we'll have this opportunity, Nas? As soon as the summer's over, we'll be back on campus missing each other like crazy again. . . and you're gonna wish you let me take you out to dinner," I could just hear the smirk in his voice.

"Fine, whatever, Genesis," I reluctantly rolled my eyes.
"'Fine, whatever, Genesis' what?" he asked.
"Fine, whatever, wine and dine me, Genesis," I could feel a smile creeping onto my face.
"I'll pick you up at 7:00 and--"
"What should I wear?" I asked.
"Anything," I could just imagine him shrugging.

"Anything?" I questioned.
"Whatever you think you should wear," he added.
"You're saying wine and dine like it's gonna be fancy. Will it be f--"

"You don't have to know all of that. It'll ruin the surprise, but just know. . . it's gonna be special. At least to me, it will be," he spoke with enthusiasm in his voice.
I couldn't fight the smile that was pulling at my lips.

"Okay. . . Good night, Genesis," I nodded.
"Good night, Nasira," he replied soothingly.

"Dream about me, baby," he added before telling me he loved me and to expect a bouquet of chrysanthemums in the morning.

Saturday night, I showered and lotioned up before sliding on a romper and wedges. I left my hair in its natural state before gliding lip gloss onto my lips and putting on a necklace. I grabbed my phone and some gum before Genesis texted me, saying he was outside.

I smiled softly, a small wave of butterflies going around my stomach. I grabbed my keys and quickly descended the stairs. I called to my mom, telling her I'd be gone and not to wait up. I hugged and kissed her as she sat on the living room couch. We told each other we love each other before I made my way to the front door.

I opened the front door, finding Genesis dressed in black jeans, a plaid shirt, a backwards hat, and timberlands. I guess he totally forgot that it almost July.

"You look like a lumberjack," I smirked.
"You stay with the jokes, man," he cracked a smile before handing me a orange colored lily.

"Thank you, Genesis," I smiled, loving how it complimented my outfit. I admired the flower for a couple of seconds before he took my free hand into his.

"Your chariot awaits," he grinned down at me and motioned toward a cherry red pick-up truck rather than his usual Range Rover.
"Who'd you get this from, Genesis, and what do you have planned?" I asked as he led me toward the vehicle.
"You ask so many questions," he said, releasing my hand and reaching into the bed of the truck.

He pulled out a polaroid camera and began backing up a bit. "What are you doing?" I asked.
"I want at least one picture before the sun sets," he smiled.