Chapter 8- I'm So Changeable

Sherlock's Pov-

"You know for a clever detective with a funny hat, you aren't all that clever." Came from a distant yet familiar voice.

I turned around to see Irene Adler standing in the middle of the street we were down. How can she be here? Maddy had told me that she was dead, she told me that she had been murdered and that in her final words sent by text she instructed Maddy to come to me. More to the point why is she here, why did she fake her death?

"It's quite easy isn't it my dear Sherlock? To fake ones own death but then I suppose it's easy to fool all of these ignorant people around us. Even you!" She spoke confidently. "Hey, I'll tell you if you tell me how you did it?" 

"I don't care how you did it, I want to know why? Why, what would be the purpose of faking your death? And putting Maddy through all of this." I stated.

"Oh my, Sherlock dearest you are completely oblivious aren't you? For once the great Sherlock Holmes doesn't understand!" She laughed.

I felt so angry, first Maddy was taken, then I have to endure hearing her being beaten to a pulp without having the ability to help her and now I have just found out that Irene is alive. I've been talking to Maddy over the past week and she spoke of Irene like she was mother of the century but why would she fake her own death in front of her daughter and make her go through all of that pain and grief?

"Ugh Sherlock you better turn around." John said to me.

I turned around, without saying a word to neither John nor Irene, to see Maddy walking out from the side of the van badly hurt. There was a drop in the pit of my stomach. I quickly analyzed her to make something of her injuries. She had the red mark on her cheek from earlier when Moriarty slapped her, a cut on her lip perhaps from a punch in the face, she was limping suggesting that she'd been kicked on her left leg, she was holding her ribs so I'd say punches and kicks on her upper body perhaps maybe even a broken rib, she was also holding her wrist slightly elevated perhaps a sprain? 

She hobbled from the van holding a terrified look on her face. There was nobody else there, maybe she managed to somehow knock the other men inside of the van unconscious. Although Maddy was injured badly I felt relieved that nothing worse happened to her and that she was here now with me. There was nobody else around apart from Maddy, me, John and Irene still standing there behind us. I'm guessing that Maddy hasn't seen Irene yet otherwise I think her expression would be a lot worse.

I knew from my instincts that this isn't right, the only reason Maddy is walking towards me right now and that I was able to catch up with the van is because Moriarty wanted it to happen. From this moment onwards I was on guard, waiting for something to happen. 

Nothing had happened in a few minutes so maybe nothing will. Maddy stopped in her tracks just as she was about to pass the van and her eyes grew wide at the fact that she had witnessed Irene but she wasn't saying anything or moving. Maybe she was just in shock.

I started to walk towards her and comfort her but she started forwards again to reveal Moriarty walking behind her with a gun pressed to the back of her skull. I knew it was too good to be true that she would be safe for a bit longer.

"You didn't think that I would have your little reunion this early did you Sherlock? My, my you must be slipping! Well I must say I was going to, you had that right I suppose but in a spur of the moment thing I decided to change my mind. You know me Sherlock, I'm soooo changeable!" Moriarty mocked at me. I started to walk towards them both at an angry pace to get back Maddy but I was pulled back by a large man. I tried to fight it as best as I could but with everything going on right now and everything going on in my head about Maddy I just couldn't, I didn't have the strength. I looked to the side to see John also being held back. Obviously something was going to happen and I wouldn't be allowed to interfere.