Chapter 18- Hospital Antics

Sherlock's Pov-

Maddy had been out for a whole day now. I hope she wakes up soon.  I haven't left her side ever since I found her, knowing my luck lately the minute I leave she will wake up! John has visited a few times but he's just started a new job as the senior medical at St. Barts so I didn't want him to mess it up by staying here and taking time off. Even Mrs Hudson and Lestrade have visited, both of them having the same aim to pry me away from Maddy's side to go outside for 'fresh air' or eat something. I don't even know how they can call it fresh air with all of the air pollution in London.

All I could do was sit there and watch over her. Her lifeless, pale body just led there. She hardly looked like she was even breathing, I did have to check her pulse a few times to make sure. I guess that is just me worrying though. I'd never really experienced worry before, this was all new to me. Caring, worrying, loving...

I was sat at Maddy's side, lost in my thoughts, but still not taking my eyes off her. I am the reason she is in that hospital bed right now. I am the reason she is hurting. I am the reason for her suffering.

I am never going to let anyone touch her again. She will not suffer anymore because of me. I will take care of her, keep her safe and protect her. From this moment onwards I will be a proper dad to her, like she deserves. I never thought that I would ever become a dad, like the thought of it or even take on the responsibility but it's different when you see your own flesh and blood. The sad fact of the matter is that she could be dying slowly, fading away from me and we have only just me each other. I hardly even know her, my own daughter and I might not even get the chance now.

Hours passed but still nothing happened. 

I still sat there waiting, not moving an inch away from her. I'm not going anywhere until I know she's alright and she's awake.

I was starting to wonder if Maddy was even going to wake up or just slip away forever. Then I heard something that lifted my spirits. I heard Maddy yawning. I sat forward in my chair. She slowly opened her eyes and locked them on mine.

"Maddy" I quietly said to her, taking hold of her hand.

"Where am I? How long have I been here?" She questioned me with curiosity.

"Maddy it's alright your in the hospital, you've been here just over a day but you have only just woken up so you might feel a bit strange, they've been pumping lots of drugs into you." I told her.

"Huh, can't believe I've been sleeping that long!" She exclaimed.

"You weren't sleeping! You were unconscious, how are you feeling?" I asked her.

"I know I was unconscious, I was just having a joke! I feel fine Sherlock." She laughed.

"Are you sure your feeling alright because I can go and get someone you know." I said to her whilst getting up.

"No, Sherlock sit down!" She commanded me.

I sat back down and the doctor that was on Maddy's case came in.

"Ah I see you have finally awoken then Miss Holmes." The doctor acknowledged.

"Holmes?" She questioned turning to me.

"Yes, I put Madeline Holmes on your hospital form that I had to fill in when I checked you in, I assumed you would not want the Adler part of your name anymore since it was all a lie." I admitted.

"Thanks, I love it but I don't get it my name is Maddy H.Adler, so taking off the Adler part my name is left purely as Maddy H." She pointed out.

"Maddy the H stands for Holmes, you have always been a Holmes! Even if you didn't know it. That H has been with you all through your life so far, you were always a Holmes, never really an Adler." I informed her.