Chapter 11

"Firs' years, over here!" Freak heard Hagrid as he dismounted the train. He, Ron, and Hermione all separated into different boats in front of the lake. While crossing, he could faintly hear water moving under the boats, which seemed to be propelled magically. Freak wondered just what lived in the huge lake...

Eventually, the boats stopped on the shore. All the first years disembarked from their respective vessels and trudged behind Hagrid as he made his way up to the castle.

When Freak had heard the school was going to be a castle, he hadn't thought it would be like this. All the glittering lights looked like eyes, the bricks - like scales. He loved it, it was so horrifying and amazing at the same time... it almost reminded him of.. Himself..

Now they were at a pair of huge doors, and a lithe, authoritative old woman who introduced herself as 'Professor Mcgonagall' led them to a huge room full of floating candlesticks and hundreds of students.

As Freak pet Bulan, he noticed that an old hat sat in the middle of the room, all frayed corners and scuffed up. But it seemed to be what everyone was focusing on... then it started to move...

And sing....

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

There was a round of applause from the occupants of the room, before 'Professor Mcgonagall' started calling off names. Freak didn't pay attention till he heard a familiar name...

"Potter, Harry" Everyone went quiet.

Freak stepped forwards, and a smattering of whispers traveled around the room.

"It's him"

"The boy who lived!"

"Why's there a snake on his neck!?"

"Harry Potter!"

"Hope he's in my house"

"He'll be in Gryffindor for sure"

He walked calmly over to the hat and put it on his head.

'Hello there... Freak. I see you do not wish to be called 'Harry' then?'

'No'

'Okay then.. let's take a look-see'

Freak felt an odd sensation, like his entire being was being exposed... he didn't like it..

'Hm.. well you would make an amazing Ravenclaw or Slytherin...'

'Not Slytherin... please'

'And why is that, Freak?'

'There is an arrogant bastard there.'

The hat seemed to chuckle at his response

"Well then, I guess it had better be"

"RAVENCLAW!"

Immediately there were groans from the red table, but the yellow and green tables seemed to be okay with the arrangement. The blue table, which he guessed was 'Ravenclaw' was beckoning to him eagerly.

He sat down with them, and immediately Bulan slithered off his neck onto his lap. The 'Ravenclaw' students seemed to recoil a bit, all except a queer looking blonde one with odd earrings.

Freak turned to her as she leant towards the lethal snake.

"Hello... You're Harry Potter...?"

Freak shrugged.

"Hm okay then, hello I'm Luna Lovegood... I like your snake, he's very pretty."

Bulan seemed to puff himself out a little at the compliment.

'Sssssee masssster, I'm pretty! Look how pretty I am massster!~' He cooed

'Yes, you are, Bulan. Very Pretty'

The snake wrapped itself around his waist and rested his head on top of Freak's shoulder.

All chatter had stopped at the Ravenclaw table, everyone was looking at the 'parselmouth.'

Then, quicker than expected, everyone started talking like they were beforehand, save for a few glances.

Maybe it wouldn't be too bad here? If they dismissed something like that so quickly, maybe Freak would be forgotten, and he could live in peace? Maybe there wouldn't be so many questions thrown at him? Maybe no one would hurt Freak here...

Yet.. he highly doubted that.

He couldn't afford to be hopeful.