Chapter 36.

A week passed by without Calum and I hooking up. I'm not saying it wasn't good, but I was kind of awaiting his text now. Sunday morning, my alarm rings at 8 am, and I realize that I'm starting my new job tomorrow. I sit up and look around and everything seemed ready for the big day, or at least as ready as it'll ever be. My black outfit was slung over a chair and my shoes sat next to it on the ground. A bag I borrowed from Caci sat in my desk and all the paperwork they asked me to fill out was lying neatly in a pile underneath it.

I sigh and lay on my stomach, deciding what to do with my time. I know for fact that Hale is asleep, and Nick and Caci are probably "busy". I decide to finally get up off my ass around 8:45 and go for a run. Every early morning on Sydney looked the same, or at least in Nick's neighborhood. There was no people at all in the streets.

I locked the door behind me and started jogging. It has been a while since the last time I runned and I didn't want to lose the habit. This was some self-help since I could clear my mind from the stress of everyday. The wind whipped behind my ears and rushed through my hair with such ease, tickling the strands of hair that fluttered in the breeze.

The training hour passed by faster than I thought, when I checked the time I was already back home. I opened the door to find Nick on the phone organizing this beach thing for this weekend and Hale making lunch. I took a big glass of water as Nick ended that call. As soon as I was finished, I walked right beside her and grabbed the dishes, some glasses, forks and tissues.

"Nick help me out, bring whatever you guys are having for a drink." I said as I pushed the door to the back garden and placed everything I was carrying on the wood table.

"Here you go" Nick left two bottles on the table and helped me out with the rest.

As lunch finished, everyone disappeared. Hale run off to Michael's place and Nick went to get the car ready for the trip to the beach, leaving me and Caci to do the cleaning. Caci turns to me and frowns at my questionable manicure. "Mani-pedis?" she asks, her eyes twinkling.

"You're such a brat" I laughed at her, "But sure, I've got nothing to do anyways." I shrug a little, making her cheer in excitment.

.
.
.
.

When we got home, I lay on bed and decided to call Matt. It's been a long time since we talked. I quickly put my pajamas on and lay in bed once again. I dial his number and he picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" Matt says from the other end.

"Hi mate, it's Maddy. I miss you" I said.

Our conversation lasted for another good half an hour in which he updated me on his new house and how things were going with mom after getting a job at a bakery and making a few visits to a psychologist. He happily told me that things were starting to work again followed by a plea for me to come back home, offering his own home as my new place. As much as part of me wanted to go home, I was already settled in Sydney with my new job and college. Moreover, when we rent a proper flat or even house for the three of us, we wouldn't have to depend on Nick anymore. The phone call ended with him having to leave to the hospital in a rush since his now official girlfriend, Sienna, was sick and needed attendance.

"Okie dokie. Hope she gets better, tell her I say hi." I said scanning the roof, from corner to corner as my eyes started to droop.

"I will Maria! Goodbye, love you."

"Bye Federico, love you too." I laughed into the phone.

"Wait, Maddy?" Matt said before I was able to hang up.

"Yeah?"

"Think about moving back to Perth with us, there's an extra room waiting for you." He said, making a final attempt at convinving me.