Chapter 17

Picture of Ace up top!

Bonnie's P.O.V

"I'm Bonnie Marcin," I offer her what I hope is a kind smile.

"So you are the woman that has captured my son's eye," she smirks, her eyes finding their way to the hideous scar on my collarbone.

Her lips curl up in disgust, followed by the rest of her features. I watch as her eyes move down my arms and take in every single ugly white raised scar. She was judging me. I wasn't good enough in her eyes. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.

"What happened to you, girl? Did you cut yourself?" she sneers, causing Ace to gasp in anger.

"Shut up, mother. You know nothing about her," Ace hisses.

"And do you? Tell me, how did she get those scars."

"They aren't my secret to tell," Ace snarls, causing Elizabeth to open her mouth in protest.

"Elizabeth, leave the poor girl alone!" a deep voice barks, causing Ace's mother to shut her mouth, though she still shoots a glare in my direction. "Move away," the man orders, sitting between Elizabeth and me.

I stare at him, taking in his slightly graying black hair. He has a strong jaw line with dark leashes that stand out against his pale skin. He turns to me and I am hit by the same smile and eyes of Ace.

"I'm Marcus King. I'm sorry about me wife, she...she's got problems," the older man grumbles in a whisper, causing me to let out a small chuckle.

"Hey dad. Thanks for that," Ace says over my head.

"No problem, son. I had to save your girl from being torn apart by your mother," he laughs.

I lean into Ace in relief. That was one crazy rich person down, a million to go. Ace's hold on me tightens, making me smile. Just as I'm about to say something, loud music starts playing and everyone stands up as the beautiful bride walks down the aisle, holding an arrogant old man's arm.

She reaches the bottom of the steps staring up at a "happy" looking Kayden who takes her arm with a wince as she grips him. They stand in front of the priest, who stands in front of a blood covered cross with a dead body hanging on it, also known as Jesus.

"Is now too late to tell you that I'm an Atheist," Ace whispers in my ear over the music, causing me to snort and a few heads to turn and look back at me.

"Nah, I'm an Atheist too," I say with a straight face, staring at the couple on the dais.

"Hallelujah," Ace yell-whispers next to me, causing me to smile even more.

People turn to glare at us but we don't care. We whisper and mock everyone throughout the ceremony, neither of us wanting to be there. A few times, I caught Kayden smiling at us, twice I saw Marcus watching us with amusement in his old blue eyes, and throughout the whole thing, Elizabeth was glaring at us.

Oops!

***

"Do you want anything to drink?" Ace asks as we enter the massive white tent.

"No, I'm okay, Thank you though," I smile at him kindly as he guides me through the mass of bodies.

Ace pulls me to the corner or the tent while people file in talking over each other and dressed in clothes that probably cost more than my life.

Ace wraps an arm around my waist as the newlyweds take the center of the dancefloor for their first dance. I lean my head on Ace's shoulder and smile as I feel him kiss the top of my head.