Chapter One

My heart hammers against my chest and my breathing becomes shallow. Eyes wide, I try to take in all the possible outcomes. The movie I'm watching, Scream, only has twenty minutes left, and I know I can figure out who the killer is before it's revealed. 

A dark figure on the screen catches my eye, and I turn around to see what's behind me, but there's nothing. That's weird. I bring my focus back on the television screen in front of me, gasping when a dead body is found. Why the hell wouldn't you just get in the car and drive away?

My thoughts are distracted once again, when I hear the doorbell ring throughout the house. I quickly pause the movie, but slowly walk to the door. I may be a little worried that Scream is at my door. Checking through the peep hole, though, I don't see anybody. I switch the two locks and open the door, but there is nobody in sight. 

It was probably just a solicitor, and they left since I took my time getting to the door. Going back inside, I lock the two locks once again and hurry back to the movie. Before I can play it, however; my phone starts to buzz in my pocket. 

"What's up?" I press the phone to my ear, staring at the figure on the television screen. It's in the same spot and position, but once again, when I turn around, there's nothing there.

"Are you still coming to the party tonight?" My best friend, Hailee, asks, pulling my thoughts away from the mysterious figure.

"I'm kind of having a scary movie marathon." I admit, toying with the remote in my free hand.

"That is so lame. You're coming! I'll come by your place at nine! See ya!" She rushes before hanging up on me. Damn her, not giving me a chance to oppose her plans.

Checking the time, I still have a few hours, so I can finish the movie before getting ready. I hold the remote out towards the television, and the figure on the screen moves, before I press play. With a gasp, I whip my body around, but there is still nobody there. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"The movie just has you scared. Calm down and finish the movie. Just breathe." I whisper to myself, slowly turning back to the television. The figure is now gone, and I don't know if that brings me relief or more concern.

I trudge down the hallway to my bathroom, starting a hot shower. The steam helps to alleviate some of the tension in me from the dark figure. After my shower, I slip on a black dress, trying to ignore the fact that the zipper got stuck. I start to apply my make-up, being especially careful with the liner, when the doorbell rings for the second time today. I check my phone for a call from Hailee, but I don't have one.

I slowly make my way to the door, mainly because of the heels I'm wearing. Just like earlier, though, when I check through the peep hole, there's nobody standing there. I don't bother going outside to check. By now, the sun has fallen, and I don't want to stand in the cold darkness just to not see anyone.

With a sigh and roll of my eyes, I walk back to the bathroom and put the finishing touches on my lips, a deep maroon color tinting them. Right as I put the tube of lipstick in my purse, the doorbell rings again. Are you kidding me?

I walk to the door with more confidence than before because of my frustration and swing the door open, without checking the little hole.

"Oh, I didn't know you were here." I frown in confusion at Hailee, who stands in front of me.

"I tried calling, but it went straight to voicemail. Your phone must be glitching again." She steps into the house, referring to when my phone won't accept or send calls. It happens about once every two months.

"Yeah, I should probably switch from Sprint." I close the door behind us, walking back to the bathroom with Hailee on my heels. 

"You look hot! Glad you put some effort into this one!" She slaps my butt, making me yelp in surprise.

"Thanks, I guess. Just let me get my purse," I duck into the bathroom, grabbing my small purse before turning the lights out.

"I'm still so jealous you have a house. I hate my apartment!" She whines, looking around the small house.

"Yeah, well, maybe if you weren't so lazy, you could find a good deal. Now, let's go!" I push her to the front door, quickly locking the door behind us.

Hailee drives us to the party, her rambling on about boys or clothes, me quietly listening. Well, pretending to listen. I don't care about what one girl called another, or who stole whose boyfriend. It'll all be irrelevant in ten years.

The party is only about five minutes from my house, so I don't have to silently ignore Hailee for too long. Cars are parked along the street, and all I can wonder is, how can we be so rude? I'm sure it's not just college kids that live on this street. A young couple could be finally getting sleep tonight, until our loud music wakes their baby.

"Come on!" Hailee breaks my thoughts, pulling me across the lawn, toward the house. My eyes wander around, taking everything and everyone in, but they stop on something. For a moment, I see the figure I had seen earlier at my house, but seconds later, it disappears in a crowd of girls.

I politely refuse all the drinks offered to me. Maybe it's because of the scary movie marathon, but I can only imagine getting drugged and kidnapped. So, no foreign drinks for me. 

I can't help having the odd feeling that I'm being watched, though. I thought it would go away, but here I am, two hours into the party, and I still can't shake the feeling. I manage to stay among crowds, too worried about the figure I had seen on the lawn. 

I know it was probably just a college kid in the shadows, but something didn't feel right about it. Just thinking about it, chills course down my spine. 

I should probably just leave. I came to the party and was seen. That should be enough. 

Pushing throught the sweat drenched partiers, I search the house for Hailee. She has to be around here somewhere. Finally, I spot her in the kitchen with a boy.

"Hey, can I have the keys?" I flash an apologetic smile to the handsome boy she's talking to, and hold my hand out in front of her. 

"You don't want to meet his friend?" Hailee points to the young man, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I roll my eyes and embarrassededly shake my head.

With a huff, she slams the keys in my hands, picking up her cup of who knows what. I'd love to meet a guy, really, but everytime Hailee and I go out, she finds a boy for me. I don't know how. She must plan it, but if I'm going to meet someone, I want to do it on my own.

I make it to the car with a few dirty looks and shoves, but besides that, okay. Somehow when I start the engine, I feel more calm. I just need some sleep. I've had a busy week, and it's caught up to me.

My sense of security changes, though, when I spot the same figure in my rear view mirror. God, I didn't know how much lack of sleep could affect a person. Stepping on the gas, I get the hell away from the party and my hallucinations.

I get home in a matter of minutes, swiftly walking throught the front door and locking both of the locks. Stepping into my bedroom, I slide the tight dress off my body, replacing it with pajamas. I climb into my bed, pulling the covers up to my chin. 

A knocking sound forces my eyes open. Seriously? I just got in bed. I decide to ignore it, writing it off as a drunk partier who has wandered onto my street. Hell, it could even be Hailee looking for a place to crash. Either way, I'm not leaving my bed. It's midnight, and I am exhausted.

Silence engulfs me as I wait for another knock, but nothing happens. See? It was nothing. I let out a yawn and roll over to face the bedroom door. 

My heart stops cold in my heart and I involuntarily hold my breath. The figure I have been seeing all night is standing in my doorway, staring at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay so I was really nervous on uploading this, and I'm still re-reading it for like the 100th time, but I am making myself post it! I hope you like it, and I am VERY excited to write this story! Let me know what you think :)