Chapter Eight

Involuntary tears flood down my cheeks. My hands shake in my lap, and my eyes quickly dart around the parking lot. He has to be around here because he knows I'm here. A part of me is screaming for me to put the key in and drive home, but my body just won't move.

I feel frozen. My breath is shallow and quick, no room for air in my lungs, for they're filled with terror. The flickering light in the lobby of the police station mocks me. I can barely hold the phone still as I call Hailee's phone, but it goes straight to voice mail. What kind of game is this?

I take as deep of a breath as I can and step out of the car. A cool breeze sends chills down my spine, and I slowly take a step away from the car. Come on, I know you're out here. My eyes constantly look in every direction for the tall boy, but it's too dark to make anything out.

Shakily, I turn on the flashlight option on my phone and hold it out in front of me. With each slow step, I hear glass crunching underneath me. I look back at the police station and notice that the large glass window in front is broken. Suddenly, a car alarm goes off a few feet away from me, making me jump.

I swivel my body in the direction, but there's nobody there. I take a step towards the blaring car when the car next to it starts to alarm. This time I see a dark figure running along the cars. My heart hammers against my chest as my feet pound against the broken glass, taking me closer to the figure.

At the edge of the parking lot, he stops, and I catch up to him within seconds. I shine my phone on his face, making the small blood stains on his neck visible.

"What the hell is going on?" I scream, tears slipping out of my eyes. The fact that I look weak makes me sick.

"I didn't want to be locked up, Tabitha." He calmly says.

"Where is Hailee?"

"I don't know. After she did all of this," he waves his hand towards the police station, "I let her do what she wanted."

"I hate you! I hate everything you're doing to me! You're making my life hell, and I don't know why! Hailee doesn't deserve this either. I want to kill you!" I yell, letting everything pour out without thinking about my words.

"Go ahead. Try to kill me." He chuckles with a predictable eye roll.

"You're sick! What institution did you escape from?"

"Darling, you're so clueless. I really thought you'd understand by now. Especially because your grandmother." He crosses his arms in front of his chest and shifts his weight.

"What does my grandmother have to do with this?" I frown. My grandma hasn't spoken to me in years.

"Don't you remember all the stories she used to tell you that you thought were ridiculous?" He asks, and I search through all my memories of her. I always thought she was a little odd.

"Uh, I remember her telling me how she felt weak a lot. She, uh, loved her dogs. I don't know! One time she told me that she cast thousands of demons out of her house." I throw my free hand up in the air.

"Interesting, huh?"

"What? Interesting how crazy she is?"

"No. The thought of demons." He tilts his head back, raising an eyebrow, and I catch a of glimpse of his jaw clenching.

"Yeah, she told me that story like thirty times, at least. I don't want to talk about my grandma with you! Tell me where Hailee is!" I huff in frustration.

"Damn it, Tabitha! Would you listen to me? You want answers, and I'm laying them out in the open."

"My grandma has nothing to do with you!"