Chapter Thirty Four

I rapidly get on my hands and knees and try my best to crawl away. My body threatens to give up, but I keep pushing forward. Every footstep around me scares me into continuing forward. When I'm not injured again, I decide that whoever hit me doesn't seem to be following me, giving me a moment to catch my breath. 

My stomach endlessly twists and turns while all of my bones cry out in pain. I slowly stand up, staggering with each step. I don't have a clue where to go or what to do, so I continue to cautiously keep walking.

"Tabitha?" Harry calls out, but I ignore it. Even if I could gather the energy to yell back, I don't want to alert the demons around me.

All around me are noises of bodies colliding and feet pacing. My anxiety raises as I anticipate the moment when I run into a demon. I'm the one they want to kill, and right now, I'd be the easiest to kill. As much as I've tried to prepare for this, it hasn't helped. My body is knots, and my mind won't stop thinking of the worst case scenarios. 

Someone runs in to me, making me freeze, but they quickly jump back towards the direction they came from. I wonder if it was Dylan or Liam. They have to be somewhere around here. I push forward, now on the mission to find one of them. A hand hits my arm, but I figure it must have been an accident, for it was so light. When it happens again, though, I stop walking.

"Come here." My grandmother's voice whispers into my ear. I immediately jerk away from her hand and continue walking.

"Get away from me." 

"Tabitha, trust me. I can get you out of here." She pleads beside me, following me.

Just as I'm about to respond, someone crashes into me and promptly swings their fist into my stomach, making me struggle for air. I'm stuck with two options, and neither of them are good. I can stay here and try to fight this demon, or I can go with my grandmother.

"Let's go." I whisper, and she holds my hand in her own.

She easily guides me through the warehouse, and I wonder how long she's been here to know it so well. My shin jams against metal, and I realize we're at the stairs. It takes me much longer to climb them than her, but I manage to do it. Once we reach the top, she pulls me to the right, and I hear a door click open, which she guides me into. 

"Here we go." She mumbles, but it's dark in here as well, so I can't make anything out.

"Where are we?" I rip my hand from hers.

"Safety." She decalres, and the light comes on, blinding me. We're in a plain, empty room. She's standing in front of me with sorrow filled eyes.

"Why are you helping me?"

"I told you to trust me, dear." She shakes her head.

"I'm here, aren't I?" My eyes travel around the bare room, searching for anything that could be used against me.

"I'm going to protect you. Your life isn't how it's supposed to be," She takes a step closer to me, "And I want to fix that."

"I'm a banshee. I don't think you can change that." 

"I can change it." She reaches behind her and pulls a gun out from behind her.

"Why do you have that?"

"It's always safe to keep a gun in your waistband." She studies it then looks back to me, "I'm going to end all of this trouble for you."

"Your plan is to kill me?" I shriek. I rush backwards to the door, careful not to turn my back on her, but when I try the handle, it won't budge. It feels like someone is holding the door shut from the outside.