Chapter Seven

"A soul eater?" Hailee frowns at the boy's words. I'm having trouble deciding if I should panic or laugh at the ridiculous thought.

"Yes. Now that you know everything, I'll leave you two to discuss or research. My suggestion would be to research cause Hailee, your life is about to be hell." He raises his eyebrows then turns to the hall outside my bedroom.

"Wait!" Hailee yells, catching me off guard. What could she possibly want from him?

"What?" The boy practically growls. When he turns to face us, his eyes are dark like when he threw me against the wall. Something on the bed beside me catches my eye, and I notice that Haille dialed the police. I try my best to look as normal as possible when I look back at the boy.

"Is there anything you can tell me?" She awkwardly asks, obviously trying to keep him here, so the police can capture him.

"Didn't I just say to research it? Damn it! Listen to me when I speak!" He screams, pacing towards Hailee, making a shiver course down my spine.

"She didn't mean about that." I say as if everyone would know that. His gaze falls on me, eyes full of fury.

"What the hell did she mean?" 

"She just wanted to know your name." 

"I don't give a damn if she wants to know. Right now she should be concerned about how she's going to want to eat your soul and kill you!" He bellows, waving his hands at Hailee.

"I'm not going to do that! You're psychotic!" She yells and swings her hand towards his face, but he easily dodges the hit.

"Don't you dare try to hit me!" He grabs her hand, tightening his grip until his knuckles turn white. She whimpers under him, trying to pull away.

"Let her go!" I yell the words in unison with the police officer now standing in my doorway. Oh thank god. My heart leaps, and I have to stop myself from smiling.

"Sir, I need you to remove your hand from her." The officer slowly says, walking towards the boy and pointing his gun at him. Behind him, another officer walks in.

The boy lets out a sigh then rips his hand away from Hailee. She immediately huddles into me, rubbing her wrist.

"Just come with us now and you won't be in trouble." The first officer says and touches the boy's shoulder. Without a word, he turns and follows the officers out of my bedroom. Before he's out of the doorway, though, he looks back at me, a deep smirk on his face.

Hailee and I sit on the bed in silence for a few moments, trying to take everything in, and then I remember what the boy said about her. She's a soul eater..? 

"Uh, maybe we should try to search a, uh, well...a soul eater." I awkwardly stumble on my words. It sounds completely ridiculous and doesn't feel right on my tongue, but we need to talk about it.

"You're actually going to look up a soul eater? Tabby it sounds like something a kid would come up with after a nightmare!" She nervously laughs, lifting herself off of me.

"This is a nightmare."

"Fine. If you want to look up the stupid shit that he's telling us, do it." She sighs and throws me my laptop from the desk. 

I take her sarcastic permission as a serious one and begin searching anything I can find. Most of the links coming up are for some stupid video game. A few minutes into searching, though, I find what I'm looking for. 

"Oh my god. Hailee, read this." I turn the laptop to face her and let her read the passage.

"It's real? And that's what, well, what I am?" She quietly asks, a horrified look in her eyes. She should be horrified. The passage talks about things that I would never dream of.