Chapter Three

My body begins to tremble, sweat forming on my temple. The music playing next to me becomes more dramatic and loud, reaching a crescendo. My mind searches for the words to say as I try to swallow the non existent saliva in my now dry mouth.

"What do you want?" I manage to stutter. The figure shakes his head and takes a step into my room, only to take a step backwards.

"Please, don't be that girl. The typical girl in all those scary movies you've been watching." He chuckles to himself, and I realize that I know the voice. I can't remember who has that voice, though, with all the fear coursing through me.

"You've really been watching me?" I ask, finally sitting up in my bed. My hands shakily grab my phone, turning off the music. I almost regret it, for the silence in the room is so heavy.

"I know you tried to tell yourself I wasn't real, but we both know that you were lying." He takes a step into the room, staying there this time. I try to listen closely to his voice to determine who he is, but I just can't.

"You're not real. This is a dream." I repeat the words although I know he's right. They're a lie.

"Would you like me to prove to you that this is not a dream?" He asks, a hint of mockery in his voice.

"How would you do that?" I gulp. If my heart beats any faster, I may just die from fear, but right now, that sounds tempting. No, I'm not dying tonight.

I hear a small chuckle from the figure before he leaps towards me. I try to cover myself with my arms, but something sharp hits my head, and I sink into darkness.

When I wake up, my head is pounding. I must have slept wrong. Without a thought, I pull myself out of bed, and strip for a shower. 

While washing my hair, however, my fingers graze over a bump on my head. I quickly grab the small mirror hanging in my shower and pull my hair away from my scalp. Sure enough, there's a small red bump with a scratch in the middle.

At the sight of it, my memory of last night floods back to me. I let out a scream, dropping the mirror to the ground with a loud thud. I pull the shower curtain back to see if the intruder is still in the house.

When I don't see anyone, I quickly turn the water off and pull my clothes on. Running to the front door, I grab my purse and head to my car. I am not staying in that house with someone who can get in. With a quick turn of the key, I press my foot on the pedal and recklessly drive to Hailee's apartment.

"Why are you here so early?" Hailee grumbles when she opens the door after my loud banging.

"I have to show you something! This, this thing on my head!" I walk past her inside and sit on her couch.

"Okay. Show me." She shuts the door behind her before joining me on the couch. I pull my hair away from my scalp just like I had in the shower, making Hailee gasp.

"Someone was in my house last night and did this!" I yell, putting my hair back in its place.

"Did you call the police? Do you know what he looks like?" 

"No, I didn't. I also don't know what he looks like." I mumble, looking at my hands.

"Why is that?" She crosses her arms over her chest. 

"If I just called the cops, he would have hurt me or ran away until the next night. I didn't see his face cause my room was dark." I explain and twirl the mysterious ring around my finger.

"Okay. Do you want to sleep here tonight?" She sighs. I slowly nod my head before wrapping her in my arms.