Chapter Twenty

"So, I assume we're going to be in this car for a while?" I ask, and Harry nods in response, "Well, then I think we should talk and get some things cleared up. Also, by some, I mean everything."

"No offense, Tabitha, but I just want to focus on driving at the moment." He sighs, and I highly doubt he would ever care if I took offense to something that he said.

"Bummer!" I try my best to display pity with a straight face, and I can see Harry is also struggling to keep a smug expression.

"Don't take me to the 1970's, please." He glances at me, licking his lips to keep them from smiling.

"Let's begin the discussion!" I authoratively clap my hands as if I'm drawing the attention of a court room, "First off, how did you find me at my grandmother's?"

"I don't mind answering whatever questions you have. I'm only worried about how you'll react to my answers." He meets my eyes, but I turn to look out the window with a dramatic sigh.

"I am a grown woman who has not only been through hell before you, but has also killed my best friend and kissed demons. I think I can handle your stupid answers, Harry." I frown at the scenery flying by me. We must be about an hour from my house now, judging on the businesses.

"Okay, little miss grown woman, I found you because of that stunning ring you've got on your finger." He takes a hand off the wheel to hold my hand in his, spinning the ring he gave me around my finger.

"This piece of shit that says the devil lives?" I jerk my hand away from his and examine the ring. It doesn't look like anything special.

"Yeah. I can track you when you wear that. It can also do something else." He reaches for my hand again, gripping it harder than before, and holds it against his thigh.

"This isn't the time for me to pleasure you." I try to pull my hand away, but his hold on me is too strong.

"I don't want you to freak out and take it off when I tell you what else it does." He explains, shockingly not making a suggestive comment.

"I won't take it off. Just let me have my hand back."

"You don't want to hold my hand?" He imitates a girl gasping, "Tabitha, I am hurt."

"Tell me what the damn ring does or I'll really hurt you." I threaten, but we both know I couldn't really hurt him. Not without that knife in his back pocket, at least.

"It dulls your emotions," He takes a peek at me then quickly turns back to facing the road, "For instance, while wearing the ring, you won't feel as guilty for the murders you have participated in. Now, that's not to say that it takes away your emotions. You could still feel guilt, but not as much as you're truly feeling."

"So, if I took this ring off..."

"You would be flooded with grief from Hailee's death, guilt from the murders, anxiety and fear from being chased by demons, and who knows what else."

"Why would you let me wear it then?" I shriek, aggressively trying to free my hand from his, but it's no use.

"If you weren't wearing it, you probably wouldn't help me! It would make things harder." He intertwines his fingers with mine, digging them into the back of my hand to show his dominance.

"You're the biggest ass on the planet!" I yell, letting my anger take over. Of course, I'm probably more mad than I actually feel because of this stupid ring.

"Don't over react!" He commands, then a smile creeps on his face, "I mean, if you even can with dulled emotions."

"You're not funny!" I frown, slamming into the back of my seat with a huff.