Chapter Five

"The devil lives." I breathe, looking down at the ring. Quickly, I slide it off my finger and throw it at the boy. 

"It's not mine to wear, Tabitha." He instinctively catches it and places it on the bed. For a moment, we say nothing. My fear hanging heavy in the air, and I know he can sense it.

"I want you out. Now." I lock my eyes with his, trying to keep as much confidence as I can.

"Have you watched the news today?" He turns his head to the side as he asks the question. 

"No, I haven't. What does that have to do with anything?" 

Without responding, he turns my TV on, flipping through the channels until he reaches a news anchor. He sits on the edge of my bed, giving me a small smile. Even this is too close for me. I bring my legs to my chest, keeping every part of me away from him.

"Now, a tragic event happened today," the news castor breaks my thoughts, "We are sorry to report that six people have lost their lives. Witnesses at the college say that the man was tall, but they couldn't identify any features."

"Yes, Lisa, it's tragic. Six students were murdered. Each one had slashes on their bodies. We're assuming a knife was used on all of them." The police man responds through the TV. My stomach lurches forward. 

"Turn it off." I mutter. He stands from the bed and the room falls silent again as the television screen turns to black.

"Tabitha, what do you think happened during that tragic event?" 

"Did you do that to them?" I meet his eyes, ignoring the fact that I feel utterly sick. 

"I ended their pathetic lives, yes. They weren't special, anyway. I needed the strength." He shrugs as if he stole a pack of gum. Suddenly, I realize I'm in the same room as a murderer. My heart dramatically picks up in speed.

"What the hell do you mean by you needed strength?" My voice shakes, a tear crawling down my cheek.

"Their fear was...incredible. You see, I feed on things like that. Not just fear, though. If we wrestled in the sheets, that'd help me too." 

"That's not normal! You are not normal, and you're wrong! Fear can not make a person stronger!" I yell my disbelief, wiping away the flow of tears.

"Oh, Tabitha, you have so much to learn." He chuckles, taking a few steps closer to where I'm sitting on the bed. 

I squeeze my legs tighter to my body, preparing to be killed. He cups my cheek with his hand and reaches his other one around my neck. A sharp pain causes me to cry out before I am engulfed in darkness.

When I open my eyes, panic immediately sets in. The sun shining through my window shows that it's morning, but is the boy in my house? 

I hastily get out of bed and begin to check each room in the house. Once I've looked in every possible hiding spot, I conclude I'm alone. Relief washing through me, I stumble back to my room.

The green eyed boy is here, sitting on my bed. I gasp before turning to run, but the door slams in my face. I slowly look back to my bed where the boy is staring at me. His brows come together, and he cocks his head to one side. I run to the window, but it won't budge no matter how hard I push it up.

This is how I'm going to die, I suppose. It doesn't seem fair or right. I shouldn't be all out of options. When I glance at the boy, he grabs something from behind him without taking his eyes off me. My eyes flicker to his hand still behind his back.

With a smile, he pulls the knife from behind him. My eyes widen, tears spilling over. My breathing becomes shallow, air struggling to reach my lungs. In one swift movement, he's standing in front of me. I try to plead him with my eyes, but his face looks blank.