Chapter Thirty One

I watch the three boys that are supposed to be my guardians leave me all alone. A noise outside catches my attention, though, sending my body into a panic, but after a minute passes, I tell myself it was just an animal. My body doesn't slip back to a calm, though. It knows that this is the day that decides everything.

If one thing goes wrong today, I could die. Everything could end. The option is a double edged sword. It sounds nice, but there is so much more at stake. I couldn't leave Harry to fight all these demons alone. That is, if he still wanted to fight them after losing the battle today.

My feet begin to ache from standing, so I let myself fall on to the couch, careful not to ruin the letter. I push the wooden box to the other side of the table. Seeing my grandmother's finger again is not on my list of things to do today.

Suddenly, a thought flashes through my mind. If I'm a banshee, could I predict my own death?

"Hey." Harry's voice pulls me back into reality with a jump.

"Hi." I rub my eyes, trying to get them back in to focus.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I just thought you shouldn't be left alone." He tosses the letter on to the table and sits beside me on the couch.

"Thanks. Being alone with my mind isn't the best thing in the world."

"I understand." He sighs, rubbing his hands on his thighs, "What were you thinking about?"

"If I could predict my own death."

"Are you feeling like there's a death?" His voice becomes panicked, and his posture straightens.

"No. Not right now, at least. I was just wondering if I could."

"I suppose it's possible, but you're not going to die for a very long time. You'll live to be a grandmother with little banshee grandchildren."

"Somehow, that doesn't sound appealing at all."

"Tabitha, you need to learn to accept this." He rests his arm on the back of the couch, careful not to touch me.

"It's hard. Sometimes I feel like I have a hold on this new life, but it seems like right when I get comfortable, I lose my grip." I stare at my fingers. Confiding in Harry makes me nervous.

"Maybe it would be easier if all of this wasn't going on."

"Maybe."

"Maybe it would be easier if you still had your best friend."

"Yeah, maybe." I glance at him, but he's not looking at me. He's staring at his hands and seems to be deep in thought.

"Maybe it would be-"

"Harry, please stop." I interrupt with a sigh, "This isn't going to change anything."

"How can I make you trust me?"

"Why do you want me to trust you?"

"Tabitha, Liam was right. We are connected. Every time you're upset with me or lose trust in me, I can feel it."

"How are we connected?"

"That's a conversation for later." He meets my eyes.

"I do trust you. When I'm in trouble, I trust you."

"You'll trust me today?"

"Yes." I inhale sharply, nervous for his next words.

"Good. No matter what happens today, trust me. If Liam gives you directions that differ from mine, follow mine."