Chapter Two

I tightly squeeze my eyes shut, trying to escape this real life nightmare. After a few seconds, I slowly open my eyes, revealing an empty room. What?

My heart slams against my chest, pumping adrenaline through me. Not knowing what else to do, I slowly step out of bed and creep towards the bedroom door. Moving into the hallway, I switch the light on, but there is nobody in sight.

Where did this person go? Was there even someone there? I could have been imagining it. I shake those thoughts aside. It was too real this time. I make my way into the living room, switching on every light as I go. 

After exploring every room and closet in the small house, I find nobody. I must be going crazy. As I walk back to my room, I hear a knock on the door. Instantly, I freeze, my breathing becoming shallow. Whoever it is, I don't want to deal with it.

I rush into my room, crawling into bed, trying to forget the knock I heard. Once a few moments of silence pass, my heart rate slows down, and I'm able to relax.

My body begs me for sleep, but my mind can't stop analyzing the memory of the figure in my doorway. It had to have been my imagination. There's absolutely nobody in this house. No matter how many times I repeat this to myself, a small part of me knows it was real. Before I know it, however; my body wins the fight, and I drift to sleep.

"It's polite to open the door when somebody knocks."

I shoot up in my bed, sweat dripping down my forehead. Looking around my room, the sun is pouring in through the window, but I'm alone. The voice was so real. I heard it right next to my ear.

It had to be part of my dream. I try to remember my dream, but there's nothing. Only the raspy voice. I shudder at the thought of his breath on my neck.

With a sigh, I throw the covers off of me and drag myself into the kitchen, checking the time on the microwave. 7:33 AM. Great, I have two hours until class. At least I have time to shower. I feel disgusting after being at the party and now this sweat all over me. 

Once stepping into the hot water, my muscles finally relax. My skin happily takes in the steam, replenishing myself from all the stress in the last twelve hours. 

Right as I pull my jeans over my legs, there's a knock at the door, and my blood turns cold. I immediately remember the phrase from my dream. The knocking soon turns into banging, jolting me from my thoughts.

I jog to the door, only rushing to make this person shut up. When I check the peep hole, a delivery man is at the door. That's odd, I haven't ordered anything. I swing the door open, giving the man a small smile.

"Hi, sir." I run my hand through my wet hair.

"Tabitha Grey?" The stout man huffs, handing me a clipboard.

"That's me," I absentmindedly sign my name along the line then hand it back to him. Without a word, he shoves the small box in my hand and stomps back to his truck. 

Well, he's obviously not a morning person. Staring at the package, I kick the door shut behind me. There's no return address on it, making me even more curious. When I get to the kitchen, I hastily bring the scissors to the tape, ripping the package open.

A ring lays inside with a note tied to it. Before examining the ring, I quickly read the note to myself:

Glad you opened the door this time.

The ring falls to the ground, my hands losing all ability to function. I quickly look around the house, searching for the figure. I know that's who sent this. Nobody is in sight, though. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I pick the ring up from the ground.