Chapter Four

After tossing and turning all night, I groggily pull myself off the couch, looking in every corner of the room for the green eyed boy. How did he even get in last night? I sigh, trying to stop my brain from asking the same questions it has been all night.

"Good morning," Hailee hesitantly says. She's making eggs in the kitchen, and she looks like she had the same kind of night I did.

"Hey. Did you sleep alright?" I hoist myself onto the counter next to her, swinging my legs in the air. She gives me a disapproving look, but I don't budge.

"Not really. What does he want?" She looks down at the sizzling eggs.

"I don't know. I plan on finding out, though."

"Tabby, you can't just think you're a detective. This guy is dangerous, I mean look at what he did to your head! Who knows how he got in the apartment last night!" She raises her voice, pointing the spatula at me.

"I know. I just want to know why he's stalking me or whatever he's doing." I mutter, looking at my hands in my lap.

"Do you want any eggs?" She asks as she opens the cabinets to get a plate for me.

"No, I think I'll just go home. I need to work out and do some laundry." I hop off the counter and grab my purse from the floor in the living room.

"Yeah, and change clothes!" She jokes, pointing at my outfit that I wore yesterday.

"Sorry I didn't exactly have time to pack for our little sleepover!" I laugh, and I feel as if everything is normal. I try to savor the moment as best I can, for I know it won't be like this for long.

"Call me if you need anything, okay?" She gives me a small smile, and I nod before walking out the door. Here goes nothing.

Instead of going home, I drive to the house that I met Duke's friend at. I quietly knock on the door, then scold myself for not being loud enough, but I'm too nervous to knock again. My knocks must have been loud enough, though, because the door swings open, revealing Duke.

"Hey, can I help you?" He asks with a confused smile. His hair is messy, he clearly just woke up.

"Sorry for bothering you. I didn't know you lived here, but I guess it saves me a step." 

"I'm sorry?" He drops his smile, just looking confused now.

"Uh, you know my friend Hailee, and I wanted to talk to you. I don't want her to know, though, so I was going to ask the guy who threw the party if he knew you, but here you are!" I explain, rushing the words out.

"Oh alright. So, what can I help you with that Hailee can't know?" He opens the door wider and motions for me to come in. Wow, this place is a lot nicer when it's not trashed and filled with dancing kids.

"Well, I wanted to ask you about your friend. He has green eyes, he's tall, uh, brown wavy hair." I try to describe him as best I can. I should of asked his name.

"Was he at the party?" His face is even more confused than earlier. 

"Yeah, you were going to set me up with him." I glance at the kitchen, remembering my encounter with him.

"I wasn't going to set you up with anyone with green eyes. Ted, my friend, is about my height with blonde hair and blue eyes." He frowns, placing his hands on his hips. My heart starts to panic. 

"Uh, are you sure? Cause the morning after the party, I was talking to a guy, and he said he was your friend. The one who was going to be with me for the night." I run my hand over the wound on my head, remembering the conversation in the kitchen.