Chapter 2

Sami’s POV

Waking up on a floor and not in a bed is becoming almost a second nature to me. As I begin to wake up I see that the dishes are still in the sink from last night and I can see the shattered plate scattered across the kitchen floor.

My attempt to get up off the floor didn't go so well. I look down at my arm to see dried blood, covering the pointy end of the plate that unfortunately ended up in my arm. I also need to cope with the fact I have two huge purple and yellow bruises the size of a man fist, along the side of my rib cage. I get up, clean the dishes and head up stairs to pack for school. My mum and step-dad are asleep and I try not to make a sound. When I reach my room, I walk straight over to my phone to see a message from Kyle.

“KYLE: Hey babe everything ok? You didn't call me.”

Sometimes I think I should tell him about how I am being 'miss-treated' at home, but then what can he do about it? It's my problem why should I drag him into this and plus it’s not like I tell the cops on my step-dad because that will not work in my favour.

“ME: Sorry...... I just got caught up in my math homework and totally forgot. I am so sorry :)”

I walk over to my wardrobe and look at the mirror and I'm shell shocked. My light brown hair is a mess and I have a purple bruise just under my right eye. My light blue eyes now look tired and drained of all life and happiness. But that is just the top half of my body. My clothes are ragged, and all you can see is my purple and yellows bruises on my tanned skin.

My arms and legs are sore from the jagged pieces of the china pate. I turn to my wardrobe and pick out my favourite baggy jumper with "sometimes the person who you would take a bullet for is the person behind the gun" written on it. Yeah I know weird quote but I still love this jumper. I put on pair of blue jeans and lace up my white converses.

As I walk outside to my car and see Chase Matthews looking at me with concerned eyes. Chase has been my neighbour for the past 12 years and he is the school's bad boy. At a height of 6"3, messy dark brown hair and soul piercing green eyes, for some girls he is the whole package. But of course he's slept with the whole student body and is known to be a player.

I don't really talk to him much or at all. I hop into my jeep and head off the school. Over the years I have slowly slipped away from my friends and just hung out with Kyle and his friends. Which sometimes I’m grateful for. Sometimes, not so much.

 At least this way I can stay under the radar and not be questioned. I pull to into the school's car pack only to be greeted with a hug from Kyle.

"Hey, how did your math homework go?" he asked.

 "Huh? Oh yeah um good." he smiles effortlessly and kisses check.

 Kyle is reasonably good looking, he's tall, around 6" and black hair alongside dark brown eyes that make my heart skip a beat. And of course bell go's telling me its time begin school. Most people find school to be boring and waste of time. As for me I like to call it my safe haven. I don't need to worry about my mum getting drunk and going into deep despair and my step-dad Pete beginning to drink and get violent.

School is my safe zone and I love it. I open my school locker to put my Math and English textbooks away only to be knocked into someone. Of the course the knock was only soft but with my bruised rib cage it caused me a lot of pain.

"OUCH!" I yell.

 I slam my locker door shut and face the person knocked into me.

Chase.

"Hey um sorry, it’s not like I knocked into you that hard." He had to open is mouth. For a second there I actually thought he was reasonably good-looking but take that all back. "You should watch where you go!" He walks over to his friends and tells them to head off to class without him.

"Look I should just get to class" I say trying to avoid meeting his eyes.

I slowly back away from him, only to hit the back of my head on my locker.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you I just want you to take your hoodie off your face." He says is a tough but caring tone.

I can see his eyes looking into mine and it’s like he is piecing the heart of my soul. I stand there with my mouth half open in sheer shock.

 "NO! Why should I?" I say trying to drop the subject.

 Everyone else has gone off to class and I'm in the halls all alone with Chase Matthews. Nice going Sami, Nice Going.

 "Why won’t you? It just a hoodie what the big deal?" his tone a little more serious.

"I don't need to listen to you, you don’t get to tell me what to do!" I try and walk away but his hands gently grab hold of my wrists.

 I turn back around to look at him. He pulls down the hoodie and revels my face. And just like that the look he had, a look of question turned into a look of rage.

"WHO DID THIS TO YOU!?" His voice so stern so full of anger and rage, and to be honest is scared the shit out of me.

"Look is doesn't matter just forget about it ok?" He moves closer to me leaving about an inch between us.

"It does matter, to me. No one should be hurting a girl, especially you." He says in a calm gentle voice.

"Just please don't worry about it. I can handle it!" I say nearly begging him. I grab my bag, put my hoddie back and head down the hallway to class. Only to hear the heavy footsteps of Chase behind me. Oh right, Crap he is in my next class. This is going to be fun! NOT!