-3-

The train pulled into the station some time later. Cassiopeia, Sirius, James, Remus and Peter scrambled to get a boat.

"No more than 3 to a boat!" The gamekeeper, Hagrid, called. James, Sirius and Peter climbed into one boat, leaving Remus and Cass to get in another. A girl climbed in as well. The three sat in silence for a while.

"Hi, I'm Remus Lupin." Remus broke the silence and held out his hand.

"Alice Fortestcue." She said shyly shaking his hand.

"I'm Cassiopeia Black."

"Pleased to meet you." Alice said. Then the boats pulled up to the castle. Hagrid led them up the stairs to a stern looking professor.

"The firs' years Professor McGonagall." Hagrid said.

"Thank you Hagrid, I'll take it from here." She said, leading the first years the first years to the great hall.

"Is she not going to tell us about the houses?" Cassiopeia muttered to Remus.

"I guess not." He muttered back.

"Guys shhh!" Alice said.

"Now when I call you name, come and sit on the stool and I will place the hat on your head." Professor Mcgonnagol said. A few names were called and Cass waited nervously.

"Cassiopeia Black." She called. With shaky legs, Cass walked up to the podium. She saw Narcissa, who was in 7th year, at the Slytherin table and quickly sat down and let the hat fall over her eyes.

"Well, well a Black. Hmmmm difficult. Your whole family has been in Slytherin." The hat said in her head.

"Slytherin, Slytherin please Slytherin." Cassiopeia thought frantically.

"The greatness is there of course, but it doesn't seem well suited. Ravenclaw maybe? Hmmmm."

"Just put me in Slytherin you stupid hat." Cass snapped inside her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The whole hall seemed to freeze. There was no applause.

"Bloodtraitor!" A Slytherin yelled out. Cassiopeia shakily walked down to the Gryffindor table and just prayed for her brother to get into Slytherin.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The hat yelled again, this time for Sirius. Cass clapped loudly for him. He grinned widely and ran down to join her. Sirius sat beside her and they gripped hands under the table. When all the students were sorted, the feast began. Cassiopeia gaped at the amount of food.

"Wow." Sirius whispered. She nodded in agreement. Cass was in between Sirius and Lily Evans, who was looking very upset.

"Hey." Cass said.

"Hi." Lily sniffled.

"It's Lily right?" Lily nodded.

"Cassiopeia?"

"Yup! So what's wrong?"

"I'm in a different house from my best friend." She said miserably.

"It's okay." Cass rubbed her back comfortingly. "You can make new friends." Lily looked at her doubtfully.

"You seem nice enough Lily and you seem like a good person."

"Thanks Cassiopeia, I needed that." Lily said.

"No problem." Cass smiled. The two engaged in a conversation and were soon joined by Poppy, Alice, Dorcas Meadowes and Marlene McKinnon.

•••