-30-

"The start of a new year, when all the teachers give us the same lecture about exams." Cass sighed. She buttered a slice of toast. "I am absolutely itching to sit for the whole day and hear blah blah work hard blah blah."

"It'll be worse this year." Lily said. "O.W.Ls and all."

"Fuck that." Marlene said. "Don't know if I can stand it."

"Let's just hope you make it to class on time." Alice said. "Wouldn't want you to be late because of the stairs."

"Alice I-" Marlene said. Alice picked up her bag and went to sit with Frank. "Why is this suddenly a big thing?" She slammed her head on the table. "I just don't like the fucking stairs."

"Don't beat yourself up Marls." Dorcas said. She squeezed her hand under the table.

"I think maybe you should just leave it for a bit Marlene, let her cool off." Lily said.

"I suppose." Marlene frowned slightly. "It's just weird."

"She's probably just homesick Marls." Cass said. "You know how close she is to her family."

"Speaking of close, Poppy and Sebastian have been looking rather cosy lately, don't you think?" Lily said. They were sitting with Alice and Frank. Cass glanced over to them.

"Yeah, I suppose so." She said. "Nothing wrong with that though. Maybe they're a thing."

"Don't be ridiculous." Lily scoffed.

"I'm not." Cass said. "Just a speculation."

"Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying it's possible." Cass said. "Don't get all stressy."

"Heya sis." Sirius said, sitting down next to Cass.

"Hello." Cass said. "Where's your entourage today then?"

"They're still in the common room but I got bored. Look, there they are now." Sirius nodded to the doors. "Sorry for the flyby visit, catch ya later!" He sauntered over to the end of the Gryffindor table.

"Hi Sirius." A Ravenclaw girl smiled at him. Sirius winked at her and waved.

"What a whore." Cass muttered. Lily hit her upside the head.

"Cass! I don't think it's very pro-women to call other women whores." She said. Cass rubbed her head.

"I wasn't talking about her, I was talking about Sirius." She said. "And that hurt."

"Sorry." Lily said sheepishly. "Why are you insulting Sirius?"

"Because he thinks he's so cool now he's got all these girls after him, he has done for a while now."

"I mean, you can see where they're coming from." Marlene said. "He is quite attractive."

"Mmmm." Cass said vaguely. She glanced over to the Slytherin table out of habit and made direct eye contact with Regulas. She smiled at him. He nodded stiffly and turned away.

"Miss Black, your timetable." Professor McGonagall
said. Cass jumped violently.

"Oh, thank you professor." She said. McGonagall smiled at her and moved on. "What's the verdict then? Do you all have Charms first?"

"Nope, I have Divination." Marlene said.

"Ugh, I still can't believe you took that dastardly subject. I have charms Cass." Lily said.

"I've got Divination." Dorcas said. Lily shivered.

"Lighten up Lils, I'm sure we have more fun in Divination than you two do in ancient runes." Marlene said.