-40-

"I know it's a big ask, but please don't send me any letters over the holidays." Cass said lowly to Noah. The potions classroom was almost silent, just the sound of scratching quills could be heard.

"Why?" Noah whispered.

"I'm trying to lay low." Cass muttered. "Don't want Avery on my case." Noah glanced at Cass. She was gripping her quill tightly.

"Of course, don't worry." Noah said. "I'll see you tonight, right?" Cass nodded.

"Wouldn't miss it." She said. They both refocused on Slughorn.

•••

The carriages for the train were set to leave in ten minutes and Cass was still in the common room. She had warned Remus and James not to send her any letters but she wasn't quite ready to leave the safety of the common room. Lily and Alice had already left, claiming they would save her a seat. Sirius and James were talking quietly in the corner.

"Come on, we'll miss the carriages." Cass said. Sirius yawned. "Where's Remus?"

"Probably there already, he's a prefect isn't he?" James said. Sirius muttered something under his breath and James laughed. Cass raised her eyebrows slightly. She lifted her trunk with difficulty and lugged it out to the carriages. She spotted Lily and Alice and climbed in immediately.

"Sorry." She panted. "Got caught up." Lily merely nodded and went back to talking to Alice about The Slug Club. The Slug Club was a club of Professor Slughorns, ut was for his best students or favourites. Lily was in it, of course, she was the best at potions in their year. Alice was also in it. Cass had been invited but had declined, Regulas was also in the club. The carriages pulled up to the station and there was a rush for good seats on the train. Cass followed Lily and Alice to their usual compartment, immediately picking up a book to distract herself from the impending doom that was awaiting her. Lily there anxious glances every so often.

"I've uh, I've got to go to the prefects carriage." Lily muttered.

"Okay." Cass said, looking up at her over the top of her book. Alice picked up a copy of the daily prophet.

"Lestranges at large." She read aloud. "Merlin they're not having any luck catching them." Cass flinched slightly. Alice continued to read and Cass grew paler with every word. By the sounds of things, it was Bellatrixs husbands, Rodolphus' parents. Cass had never met Bellatrixs husband nor did she want to. She suspected he was probably following in his parents footsteps. Alice finished reading the article and stared at the paper for a moment. "I can't believe this." She muttered. "They know exactly who they are so why can't they find them?"

"Expect they're hidden in a safe house or something." Cass said. She shrugged.

"But who would want to be a secret keeper for them?" Alice said, her voice laced with disgust.

"I can think of a few people." Cass murmured. Alice didn't hear her, she was flicking through the paper angrily. Cass went back to her book. The closer they got to Kings cross, the more restless Cass got. She waited until Lily came back before excusing herself to go to the bathroom. Her eyes flicked from carriage to carriage, she eventually spotted Regulas. He was safely tucked away with his friends. Cass hurried past the compartment, careful not to be seen. She went straight to Sirius' usual compartment. The blinds were drawn. She tried the door but found it locked. She rapped sharply. Remus peeked under one of the blinds.

"Relax idiots. It's just Cass." He sighed. The door swung open. Remus pulled her inside and closed the door behind her. "Remus what the-" Cass stopped speaking, shocked by the presence of a large black dog and a magnificent stag. "What in gods name-" Cass said. She rounded on Remus. "Where are Sirius and James? I suppose this was their idea of a prank, planning on letting a deer and a dog prance about the train. I've got a mind to tell Lily, you're supposed to be a prefect Remus!" Cass said.