-29-

"Welcome back all." Dumbledore said. Cass immediately switched off. She glanced up at the line of first years and spotted Allegra. She decided maybe she should listen to the sorting. McGonagall stepped up and started reading the names out.

"Avery, Allegra." Allegra sat down nervously on the stool. Cass watched with bated breath as the hat considered its decision.

"Slytherin!" The hat called. The Slytherin table erupted into applause. Cass sighed with relief. She couldn't imagine the hell that girl would get if she wasn't placed in Slytherin. She clapped loudly as well.

"Why are you clapping so hard?" Sirius asked.

"That's Averys sister."

"Exactly."

"I'm just glad she's in Slytherin that's all." Cass said. "Didn't realise that was a crime." She turned her back on Sirius and started to speak to Alice instead. Sirius rolled his eyes. He turned to speak to James, who appeared to be gazing at Lily.

"You'll never get a conversation out of him." Remus said. "He's deep in a JamesandLily fantasy."

"I don't know why he's so set on her, she'll never go for him." Sirius sighed.

"A boy can dream." Peter laughed. "He hasn't even noticed we're talking about him."

"Oi, Potter." Sirius said.

"Yeah?" James said absently.

"So, I'm thinking of putting slime in your bed tonight. Are you okay with that?" Sirius said.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you want." James said. Sirius kicked him. "Ow!"

"You're a tool." He said. James pouted.

"Remus, Sirius is being mean to me." He whined.

"You deserve it James, you've been staring at Lily for the last fifteen minutes." Remus sighed.

"I have not!" James protested.

"Okay buddy, you just keep telling yourself that." Peter said, patting James on the back.

"You guys are mean."

•••

"I'm already sick of this place." Marlene grumbled. "Everytime I try to go somewhere the stairs move."

"You really should be faster." Lily said. Marlene chucked a pillow at her head.

"You really should go last next time then." She said.

"Oh Marls stop being so grumpy." Cass said. "We're going to be here for the next 4 months so you better get used to the stairs again."

"It doesn't mean I have to like it." Marlene said. She flopped back onto her bed. "Why can't they just have normal stairs for Merlins sake?"

"Wouldn't be Hogwarts without them." Dorcas said. Marlene frowned.

"Just shut up about the stairs!" Alice said. "I would rather stick a wand up my arse then listen to your for another second."

"Fucking hell Alice, that was aggressive." Marlene said.

"Oh shut up Marlene. Not everything is about you! There are bigger problems going on than you having to take the long way to the common room." Alice snapped.

"What the hells up with you Alice?" Marlene said.

"Nothing." Alice said. "I'm going to bed." She climbed into bed and closed her curtains. Cass and Lily exchanges glances. Marlene muttered something under her breath and got into her own bed.