Chapter 1

{Reader's POV}

I dug my hands into the pockets of my navy blue jacket and walked aimlessly down the cityscape of my home.

A cold breeze nipped at my skin and I breathed out a heavy sigh as I savored the beauty of of tonight's sparkling stars that hung in the vast sky.

My eyes then shifted from the lovely sky to the dull, concrete sidewalk. My thoughts swirled in my head and they began to form a tornado of stress and worry.

I tried to pin my attention on something else rather than the events from earlier, but nothing seemed to come up.

I had just been fired from my job and left to fend for myself. It wasn't like I had been a horrible employee—no, it wasn't like that at all.

I worked hard and long every day, giving my best efforts in everything. But, unfortunately my company had received a few budget cuts from the CEO and left my boss with no other option but to let one of us go.

A bright screen with hues of blue and red slowly pulled me in with interest. I stopped where I stood and watched the news flick from crime scene after crime scene.

All it seemed to show was bloody children neatly wrapped up into body bags. The sight sent a painful shock to my heart and I immediately turned away.

My gaze now fixated on the ground, I heard what the reporters had to say, "We warn everyone to stay inside after dark and, if a parent, to please watch over your children with a careful eye. We have yet to identify the killer and could possibly be anyone at this point. We urge everyone to not leave your doors or windows unlocked either—".

I let out a heavy sigh and made an effort to ignore the newscaster's voice. I savored the cold breeze that brushed against my hot skin and began walking again.

Not only was I bummed out about my job, but I had also gotten into an argument with my mom over it.

This time we ended up yelling at each other and I hung up while she was in mid sentence and I admit that wasn't one of my brightest ideas either.

It didn't matter though.

I was so happy when I moved out and left the state. I've felt so free this entire time that I've lived here in this quiet city, but after getting fired, everything backfired on me.

Now I was experiencing what it really meant to be an adult, but the rude awakening wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

"Dammit!" I gritted my teeth angrily and balled my hands into fists. The cold air didn't seem to calm my anger but at least it helped to cool the heat in my face.

"AAAAHHHH!!!!"

I stopped dead in my tracts and froze where I stood. My shoulders suddenly tensed at the blood curdling scream and my anger soon died down.

"HEEELLPPP MEEE!! ANYONE!!!"

My head shot toward the direction in which the voice resonated from and I quickly ran in search of it. I stared down a dark, creepy alleyway and turned back to see the bright city lights that shined from behind me. I heard another round of cries and my heart sank as I noticed the child-like pitch in the voice. I swallowed back whatever fear I had in me and sprinted down the alleyway.