Chapter 22

{Reader's POV}

A few rays of sunlight peeked through the grey clouds and did very little to warm up the ground. A fresh new layer of snow had cascaded down onto the city last night and enveloped everyone's home in a thick blanket of snow, especially mine.

I stared out the window as I watched a few more flurries of snow settle onto my front lawn.

My health wasn't getting any better and neither was my fondness of winter. I'll admit, I did find the white, sparkling scenery to be beautiful, but I hated how I could be so vulnerable towards the cold.

Every year, my nose'd get stuffy and red, my throat raspy and barley audible, and finally, fatigue would overwhelm my body from head to toe.

But as the memories of my childhood reappeared in my mind, I remembered how much I'd love the holidays and snow ball fights, despite the sickness.

This time of year was always festive and golly. Decorations were always hung up around town, Christmas lights shined and glowed with merry throughout the rest of the night, and gifts brought to homes for loved ones... It was all so festive.

Which reminded me... The holidays weren't going to be the only celebration to consider this year...

My eyes suddenly turned to look at the sleeping figure sprawled out on the couch. I lightly chuckled to myself as I watched the monochrome clown resting comfortably with a blanket half covering his tall frame.

Even for a monster, he slept so peacefully that he reminded me of a child.

My fingers unconsciously began to caress his hair and I gazed into his sleepy face. Jack almost seemed to move closer towards me as my warm hand grazed against his cheek.

Then, still dead asleep, Jack shoved my body towards him.

My eyes widened as Jack's long arms wrapped themselves around my body and pulled me into his chest. I felt heat rising in my cheeks and the tips of my ears as I tensed up in his embrace.

Now that I've realized my feelings towards Jack, I've become extremely self-conscious of myself and sensitive to his touch.

I held my breath and kept my eyes wide open as I quietly felt Jack's chest rising and falling as he breathed. But as I gradually began to calm down, memories of Jack's past with Isaac flashed in my head. One specific memory was Jack being given to the blonde boy on Christmas Eve...

I let out a small sigh and frowned at the image of Isaac receiving Jack for the first time.

My hands gently pressed against Jack's broad chest and I carefully, so as to not wake him, wiggled out of his hold and got off the couch. I gazed at the monochrome clown once more and grinned as I saw his mouth slightly part open, "He's so cute sometimes", I thought to myself and chuckled as I walked towards the door.

Grabbing my white trench coat and purse, I tip-toed outside and cautiously closed the door behind me.

I trudged through the snow and anxiously got into my car as a harsh, icy breeze struck my body. As I rubbed my gloved hands together vigorously, I immediately regretted leaving Jack's side inside my warm, cozy home.... But I had to suck it up.

In just a few weeks, Christmas Eve would arrive... Jack's birthday would arrive and I would need to make up for all those lonely nights he must have lost to Issac's intolerable actions.