Chapter 15

{Reader's POV}

As I stood, gazing at the hellish scene in front of me, my lips quivered as a deathly cold enveloped my body. I shivered as though ice had replaced my spine.

Everything around me looked like something out of a nightmare. The tattered ends of many circus tents flowed along with the wind and gave off an eerie sense of despondency. Several booths and carnival games had their prizes and stuff animals hanging off the ceilings from nooses. The morbid toys stared down at the floor with their plastic, deadpan eyes, as if they were once full of life.

A potent, dreadful stench swirled and clung to the air and displeased my stomach once I realized it was the smell of blood.

"Wh...What is this place..?", I mumbled under my breath as I gazed at the dark, twisted scenery in front of me. My hands, shaking from the fear and shock of having to wake up in such a terrifying place, unconsciously gripped my head in exasperation.

The last thing I remembered after waking up was me cuddling next to Jack while we slept in my bed. Once I had felt the warmth of his body vanish, my eyes slowly fluttered open only for me to be greeted to this disturbing sight.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!"

I whipped my head to the sound of a blood-cuddling scream and looked in all directions for the source of it. Then, as if on cue, loud, haunting bursts of circus music resonated and echoed through the creepy carnival. Tinges of eerie lullabies mixed with an orchestra of drums and trumpets struck fear in me.

I unconsciously backed away as the screaming continued and gradually became louder. My instincts flared up and I sprinted in the opposite direction of where the noise was coming from. I raced down several booths and slammed my hands over my ears as sounds of laughter suddenly exploded in the carnival.

I looked around in awe as I watched the stuff animals topple over in craze fits of laughter as they hung from their nooses. The once lifeless, plastic eyes I saw were now demonic and staring at me with bloodlust in them. I shook my head and continued to sprint away from all the madness and lunacy that hid in every corner.

However, my body collided with another and I soon tripped backwards and landed on the ground. My heart raced and I widened my eyes as the threat of death stood in front of me. Without checking who was there, I clumsily got off the floor and scurried away where I would be safe, but a rough, callused hand snatched my arm before I could.

"AAHHH!!! LET GO OF ME!!!"

I thrashed and struggled under their hold and fearfully turned around to see who was owner of the hand. "It's me! Wasn't expecting to find you here too..." My eyes widened as I turned to find Officer Stan gripping my wrist as he carefully inspected me. "Or... Could you be just another illusion...", he mumbled under his breath and unexpectedly took out his gun and aimed it at me. I froze and tensed up at seeing the black gleam of the weapon and shivered when realizing what he intended to do.

"NO! Don't shoot! It's me! It's (Y/N) (L/N)!!", I pleaded with the man and trembled as his finger ignored me and pulled the trigger. I slammed my eyes shut and recoiled in fear as the deafening bang rung in my ears.

However, my eyes sprouted open as the bullet pierced my arm and squirted blood over me. I gasped as I hit the floor and gripped my arm from the pain. "Argh..!", I coughed up blood and choked back on the coppery taste as Officer Stan stepped closer towards me.

"Huh... That's odd, you're bleeding."

His response struck anger in me and, even with the immense pain, I gritted my teeth and glared at him from where I squirmed on the ground. "The others didn't bleed and if they did they're blood was already rotting and black", Officer Stan said as he squatted down in front of me and watched as I winced intensely. "Guess you really are (Y/N)... But that doesn't explain why you're here", he mumbled under his breath as he brought up his gun again and aimed at my head.