Chapter 30

{Reader's POV}

My heart pounded inside my chest as Jack held onto my wrist. His claws carefully avoided puncturing my skin and, as soon as I noticed this, a blush crept onto my face. I smiled warmly and gazed at the monochrome clown's face. It was conflicted with worry and uncertainty, but I knew it was because of me.

Jack and I confessed to each other and, as we kissed, it sealed our fates forever. There was a string of destiny tied around us and we weren't planning on cutting it off.

"Master! Lizzie and Tariq spotted a few guards up ahead as they were crawling through the vents! We need to diverse before we end up like sitting ducks!", Jamie shouted over the deafening sound of the alarm. Jack nodded his head and unconsciously tightened his grip on my wrist.

"Alright, you heard Jamie! A fifth of you stay and the rest follow me!", Jack commanded over the deadpanned children. We swiftly turned into another hallway and continued to race down to find our next exit.

Jamie pressed his index and middle finger against his temple as he concentrated on telepathy with the other zombified children.

"Jonathan says there's another exit round the last few wards...but..", Jamie bit his lip and stared back at us with an expression filled with worry.

"But what?!", Jack growled and snapped Jamie out of his daze.

"But, there's too many guards crowded around that area and blocking it off from us!", the caramel-haired boy croaked. I worriedly looked up to Jack and stared at him with concern.

However, I quickly realized I was wrong to have doubted him.

A devious smirk formed on the monochrome clown's face and insanity filled his malicious, dark eyes.

"Up and down the city road, in and out the eagle...", Jack sung the creepy nursery rhyme and his eyes twinkled with bloodlust. Jamie and I looked at each other in utter fear. The poor boy seemed to remember something horrible as he looked at Jack's inhuman smile.

I too felt the same dread as Jamie. It was without a doubt that smile reminded both of us of that haunted night in the alleyway. The day we both witnessed a monster at work.

And now, he would reck havoc on this building and all of its inhabitants—well, at least the ones who opposed him.

"Jamie... Hehe... Why don't we play a game with the guards...? A fun game of Cat and Mouse..? Hehe..AHAHAHAH..!!!", Jack burst into maniacal laughter and his booming voice echoed through the halls. The boy's white orbs widened and his lips quivered as Jack reveled in his insanity.

I unconsciously reached out for Jamie and hugged him close to me. Just like on that fateful night, we clung to each other as the monochrome clown lost control of himself and went on a rampage.

"That's the way the money goes, POP!! Goes the weasel!!", Jack's smile widened with every step he became closer to the end of the hallway. He was so fixated on the thought of murder, he overlooked the fact that his claws were beginning to poke at my skin.

I bit my lower lip and winced from the pain, but I held back my cries. It wasn't the moment for me to distract Jack. I had to remain calm and let him handle the situation.

He was a monster...and when they lose control, it's better to stay out of their way.

"(Y/N)... You're bleeding..", Jamie whispered as he gazed at my wrist.