Chapter 10

{Reader's POV}

"Sweetie... Are you alright?"

My mom's figure stepped into the living room and she spoke softly. I raised my head and let out a tired sigh.

"No, I'm fine. I got the job so that's great..!", I replied with a big grin and earned a tight hug from my mom.

"That's wonderful honey!" Her voice was ecstatic as she pulled me into her warm chest.

I wrapped my arms around her and rested my chin on her shoulder.

"Y..Yeah, sure is.." I stared out at the window behind me and let my gaze wonder to the sky. Jack hadn't returned and now I was beginning to worry.

Two days had passed since our argument and I still had no idea how Jack felt about it.

"Well! Now that that's been settled, how about we tell your father the good news after a delicious dinner!" My mom broke the hug and clutched my shoulders encouragingly as she beamed a bright smile. I nodded my head and realized what my mom had in mind.

"Yeah, I'll help cook dinner later. Just give me a sec... I need to check on something real quick." I returned her smile and took a few steps back. My mom nodded her head and I ran up the stairs.

As much as I loved my parents, I wasn't in such a good mood to be with them at the moment. I wanted to be alone and think about what had happened these past couple of days. The argument with Jack might be nothing to sweat about, but my encounter with Officer Stan is a different story..

Because of my clumsy hands, I let the music box slip from my purse and have possibly revealed Jack's identity to the officer. Ever since the beginning, I've always noticed his strong ambition to catch Jack.

From the first day he started asking questions, to the day he transferred me to a hotel, it was obvious that he would stop at nothing to bring the killer to his knees in handcuffs.

However, I never had much faith...

And I still don't.

Jack isn't human and he can easily handle a couple of cops without even lifting a finger. The only thing that worried me was how far Officer Stan was willing to go...

I shook my head and with a heavy sigh I opened the door to my room. The thoughts swirling in my head were making me restless and to be frank I only came to my room to ease my nerves. I looked over my dresser and bent down to pull something out of the drawer on the very bottom.

There in my hand I held Jack's music box. It twinkled under the light of my ceiling and the engravings on the side sparkled as usual. Once I touched this beautiful heirloom, I always felt a sense of wonder about it.

How could something so cute belong to someone like Jack, a serial killer, a supernatural being, and a psychopath? Odd.

"Where could he be..?", the words unconsciously slipped from my lips as I rose back to my full height. I let out a sigh and stared out the window in my room. The sun was beginning to set and the lovely orange hues that swirled in the sky couldn't even lift the frown off my face.

"Why the long face?"

My eyes widened and I gripped the music box in my hand. I swiftly turned around and to my surprise Jack stood behind me with a bored expression.

"You're back!" I said as I jumped in my spot. The monochrome clown rolled his eyes and stuck a lollipop into his mouth. He nonchalantly flopped down on my bed and crossed his arms behind his head.