Chapter 4

{Reader's POV}

Today my room appeared more duller than usual.

I was sitting upright on the hospital bed as I toyed with the music box in my hand. After the parents had left yesterday, I fiddled with the golden crank and turned it to see what would happen.

The song Pop Goes The Weasel played and as it reached it's climax the lid popped open. Curiously, nothing jumped out of the music box and left me to wonder if it was broken.

I shook my head and let out a heavy sigh. I knew it was the wrong time to be distracted by a music box, but after last nights events, instead of giving off a beautiful glow, the box now filled me with dread.

Police officers had barged into my room and startled me out of my sleep. Confused and baffled by their presence, I had clutched the toy box in my hands more tightly. It wasn't until one of the men explained to me what was going on that I regained my senses.

The news hit me hard and I began sobbing in front of the officers.

The nurses tried to soothe me but their efforts were in vain as I cried for the rest of the night. The little boy that I had risked my life to save, was now dead, him and along with his parents.

I didn't sleep a wink last night and now I laid on my hospital bed fiddling with the toy box the parents of the boy had given me the day before.

As I let my fingers run down the surface of the toy box, I felt a pang of guilt strike my heart. I felt awful for being so fearful of a gift two parents gave me for saving their son. This music box was supposed to comfort me and remind me that, even in their death, they were kind people, but my mind refused to shake off the odd feeling plaguing me with fear and doubt.

For no apparent reason, this box now sent shivers down my spine.

A knock echoed through my quiet, desolate room and startled me out of my daze. I raised my head and gave a soft 'come in!' to whomever was at the door.

A familiar face stepped into the room and his blue uniform sent a wave of confusion toward me. It was the officer from the other day who had asked me questions about that night in the alleyway.

"Officer Stan... What brings you here today..?", I asked timidly and earned a warm smile from the middle-aged man. He took off his hat and rested it on the seat next to him as he faced me.

"I just wanted to inform you that your parents are arriving in the afternoon, right before we transfer you", he said as he gazed over my pale face. I nodded my head and quickly smiled back.

"That's..g..great!", I replied clumsily and the officer returned my gesture with a frown.

"Aren't you happy to see your parents?". The question threw me off a little but I regained my calm and shook my head. "No, that's not it... it's just, what with the murders downstairs..", with that, the officers eyes widened now and he nodded his head apologetically.

"I understand, but don't you worry about that, we're not moving you to another hospital—", stunned by the officer's words, I jolted upright and stared at him in shock.

"You're not?" The officer shook his head and smiled. "That's too obvious, we're planning to move you to a hotel room, bring all the monitors and needles along too." His response sent a smile to my face and the thought of sleeping somewhere a little more homey felt great. The officer noticed my sudden change of mood and chuckled warmly.