Chapter 17

{Reader's POV}

The zombie children surrounded me and peered at my face from below. I raised an eyebrow and gazed over the House of Mirrors once more.

I turned back to look at them with a frown, "What is it? It's just a game."

The zombie children shook their heads and pointed into the direction I had come from. "I'm not going back to the Carousel", I said unyieldingly, "I want to go in there." They shook their heads again and began to drag me away from the building.

I crossed my arms and with a frown I stepped inside the building, brushing past the hordes of children that refused to move.

I roughly slammed the immensely wide doors shut and let out a sigh as I heard their protests in the form of moans and banging.

Turning my attention back to the House of Mirrors, I looked around the dark, deserted areas of the building. I cocked my head in confusion as I was expecting to see mirrors and lights hanging everywhere to shine on the maze.

Then, all of a sudden, a soft melody began to play in the background as I walked further into the building.

Rows of mirrors were immediately illuminated with spotlights and brightened my path toward the maze. They held a sequence of colors as I passed by them too, starting from blue to green and then to red... A sort of festive decoration.

I calmly watched my figure pass by and I soon walked deeper into the maze of mirrors. The soft melody was soothing and particularly gentle, which completely erased all my worry from before.

"L..La..Laughing...J..J..Ack..? Laughing Jack-in-a-b..b..ox..?"

My head whipped around to find an image of a young boy stuttering in the mirrors behind me. I kept my composure and stepped closer towards it.

I saw a little, blonde boy holding an all too familiar toy box in his hands. His voice had a strong British accent and with the decorations in the background, I assumed it was Christmas.

"Huh..? It's broken..", he said with a frown on his face as he examined the box. Even if he had turned the crank and it played it's tune, nothing happened.

I knitted my eyebrows and stared at the boy as he solemnly stared at the floor. I cocked my head to the side and perched my lips, "Isn't that the boy painted on the side of this building...?" I muttered.

In the mirror, the box suddenly started shaking and smoke began to seep through it's cracks. I slowly took a step back and widened my eyes as a tall, multicolored CLOWN man, with bright RED hair and a swirly, RAINBOW colored cone nose appeared out of nowhere.

My eye bulge out of my sockets as I gawked at the scene before me, "I..Is that... Jack?!", I asked incredulously.

"Wh..Who are you..?"

"Glad you asked! I am Laughing Jack, your new friend FOREVER! I'm magical, I never get tired of playing, I'm a wiz at the accordion, and I like whatever you like!"

The little boy looked up to Jack, "We..We're friends..?" the blonde child asked.

Jack looked at the boy with a knowing smile and nodded his head proudly, "We're BEST friends Isaac!" he said with a wink.