Chapter 9

{Reader's POV}

I dug my shivering hands under my armpits and quickened my pace toward the parking lot ahead. A smile was spread across my face as my rosy cheeks cooled from the intense breeze of winter. My warm coat clung to my body as I turned around and gazed at the skyscraper from above.

Only a few moments ago had I finished an interview and left a great impression on the man interviewing me. He said he'd call me back tomorrow and inform me if I had gotten the job—and by the looks of it I was confident I'd start depositing my paychecks in no time!

A soft giggle escaped my lips as I looked through my purse for my keys. Even if it was cold and freezing out here, the warmth my smile was radiating seemed indefinite.

As I stepped into my car and sat on the driver's seat, I leaned my head against the headpiece and let out a dreamy sigh. I closed my eyes and absentmindedly let my hand search the contents of my purse again.

By the time I realized what on earth I was doing, I had already pulled out the music box. The sensation of my fingers grazing over the familiar engravings brought my thoughts back to what had happened yesterday.

That afternoon Jack and I had an argument. Till this moment I'm still appalled that I could muster up enough courage to talk back to him like I had done before. I still had no idea why I was so persistent. Asking him about his personal life and drilling the answers out of him until I was satisfied with his response.

Honestly, every time I remembered the way he burst out laughing like that, my stomach begins to churn and guilt plagues me for the rest of the day. I felt horrible. I still didn't think comforting him and apologizing was enough.

He didn't say anything after that. All I remember is him disappearing before my parents barged into my room after hearing yelling. I never saw his face or felt him returning my hug, all I did was melt into his warmth.

Oddly enough, I think I was enjoying it.

"Uuugghh!!! I'm a horrible person!! How could I enjoy that..?! He was upset and here I am enjoying myself?!", I rested my head against the steering wheel and mentally faced-palmed myself. There it goes again. Guilt. It was suffocating me and I didn't know what to do about it. I think I might have brought back some awful memories and Jack might have tried to hide his pain through his laughter.

This was all my fault.  

I started thinking that maybe Jack left to get away from me. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back and never spoke to me again. He didn't cry or anything but I still feel like he had accidentally shown me his vulnerability. It was so obvious. I could feel it in his laugh. I swear, wether it was the guilt or not, I felt like throwing up.

How can you sense someone's pain through a laugh?! That's ridiculous! ....Or is it..?

"Uuugghh...", I let out another groan and furrowed my eyebrows as I recalled the way Jack left without a word. Usually he'd say something witty or sarcastic, hell I wouldn't have been surprised if he threatened me. Honestly, I just needed to see some sort of reaction from him. I hate it when he doesn't show any emotions—I hate it... It makes me feel useless.

I let out another sigh and stared at the wheel with a downcast gaze. Then a sound resonated from my purse and snapped me out of my thoughts. I took my phone out and stared at the name on the screen. "Officer Stan? Why is he calling me..?", I mumbled under my breath and accepted the call.