25~Meet the fam.

Dylan's POV

Oh, I can't belive today is the day we leave to go see Marie-Anne's family. Under different circumstances I would have been really happy, but our relationship is too complicated. I don't even think she told her parents that I was white.

"You still not ready?" Marie-Anne says walking into my room, "you're not a girl why you taking so long?"

"Well, I'm sorry if I want to impress your family," I joke, "anyways, scarf or no scarf?" I ask her looking in the mirror with the scarf.

"Mhmm scarf, it makes you look sexy and mysterious," she says giving me a kiss.

"Okay, then I'm done," I say grabbing my bag. We walk out the door and get in the car. I set the GPS to where her house is and I start driving. Oh, Lord please help me, I just hope that her family likes me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Marie-Anne, Marie-Anne, wake up," I shake Marie-Anne as we enter her neighborhood after the six hours drive. Marie-Anne fell asleep after we got back from our stop.

"Hey," she says wiping the sleep from her eyes, "we are already here?" She says looking at her old neighborhood. This was not the big city I was used to no more, everything looks so small and a little dirty to be honest.

"Yep we are," I say parking where the GPS told me too. Before I could even take the key out of the ignition, her family comes out running waiting for her to get out of the car. I let out a sigh I didn't even know I was holding in. "It'll be fine," she says giving me a small hug.

We both get out at the same time and everyone just runs up to her giving her a hug. I stand there a little lost and nervous with my hands cross over my chest.

"Guys, this is Dylan," she says after she finally got out of the family hug. "Hi Dylan," everyone says in unison staring at me.

"Dylan this is my mom Marlene," she says pointing at an older woman with the same crazy curls as her. She was the exact replica of Marie-Anne, but only older. "This is my brother Marven, my sister Marie-Jane, my brothers Marco and Marcus, and these are the twins Emanuel and Eman," she says pointing at the younger boys that look exactly a lot.

"Mhmm," I say not remembering even one of their names. The only person's name I remember is Marie-Jane, why is her name so similar to Marie-Anne? When they say Marie, how do they know who they are talking about?

"Oh, they call my sister Jane," she says as if reading my thoughts. I look at Jane and smile; she looks just like Marie-Anne, they are the same height, the only difference is that her curls are tightly coiled together and more defined.

"We live in Florida, why are you wearing a scarf?" Marven, the oldest brother asks.

I was about to answer when Jane beat me to it, "I don't know Marven; but I like it, it makes him look sexy and mysterious," she says coming closer to touch the scarf. Marie-Anne's exact words, maybe they are twins after all.

"Nice to meet you, Dylan," her mom says, "Let's go inside to get you guys settled in, Marven take their bags," she orders. Marven goes to the trunk of the car and grabs our bags without complaining. "Let's go," Marie-Anne says grabbing my hands as we follow everyone inside the house.

Reaching inside I look around the small house, the walls were painted a light yellow colors, the room has a feeling of warmth and happiness. To the side was the kitchen with the dining room, everything is neatly placed somewhere. Marie-Anne pulls me to the kitchen and the smell of food hits my nostrils.

"You guys must be really tired," her mom says as we sit down on the island.

"Not really," Marie-Anne says. Yeah, right. Speak for yourself Marie-Anne you were sleeping the whole time.

"You don't speak much do you?" Her mom asks again looking at me.

"No," I say in a low voice. Marie-Anne huffs causing her mom to laugh.

"What are you making mama?" She ask looking at the stove.

"Your favorite," she says. And Marie-Anne smiles so wide. I've never seen her smile like that, I guess she is really happy to be home. "I'm so sad that Esther couldn't come, why didn't she come?" Her mom asks. She sure does asks a lot of questions, now I know where Marie-Anne gets that from.

"She's spending the holidays with her new boyfriend," Marie-Anne says emphasizing on the boyfriend part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk out the door and breath the fresh air. I was tired of smelling food and happiness, it was annoying. Everyone is so happy and cheerful, it's kind of weird.  I stand at the front porch leaning on one of the walls, I close my eyes and let my mind wander away. The door opens causing me to open my eyes, I turn around and Marven, the oldest brother comes out.

"Hey, pretty white boy," he says coming closer to me. I ignore his rudeness and go back to wandering away.

"Have you ever been bullied or judged because of being white?" He ask. What kind of stupid question is that?

"No, why would I get bullied beca-" he cuts me off before I could continue.

"You are just like the rest of them, you think you special because you white or something? You believe that you shouldn't get bullied because you are white; are you better than the blacks that get bullied or judged because of their skin colors?"

I ignore him because I don't know if I'm meant to answer that question or not.

"So, let me guess you do not get looked at differently at school? Have you ever asked Marie-Anne how she fells at that big university that is mostly white?" He ask.

"No," I tell him. I've never thought of that, she would have told me if she had a problem. Am I a bad boyfriend for never asking her that?

"Exactly what I thought, you don't know what she goes through and you will never understand her. And don't come up with the bullshit that her color doesn't matter to you because the truth is it should. Her color is what makes her special, it's what makes her Marie-Anne. Her skin is why she is a hard worker, it's why she is so determine. And no matter how much you say that we are all just people and shit, she will always be different. Society will always see her different because of her skin color and she will always be a minority because of this country," Someone laughing causes him to stop.

I turn around and look at the kitchen window to see Marie-Anne laughing with her mother and sister. "I don't hate your relationship or anything like that; I just know that you will never understand her, but my sister seems to really like you."

"And I heard about your racist mother," he says and I turn around looking at him, "yeah, that's right we tell each other everything."

"I see how her eyes sparkle every time she talks about you, her voice changes every time she mentions your name, I don't see what she sees in you, but she does like you." He says.

"Just don't hurt her and unlike does brothers or fathers who make void threats to kill you or something, well I don't make void threats. Hurt her and I will murder you right in front of your bitch of a mother and then I will get a one-way plan ticket to Haiti," he says getting closer. He raises his leather jacket and shows me his gun.

"And I also do some voodoo if you are wondering, I don't need a gun to murder you," he says leaving the porch and going back inside.

What the hell is voodoo and why does he have a gun?

AN

A gun, wow Marven has a gun.  I kind of dig him, I need a brother like him. And he can do some voodoo, lol.

What do you think about the family so far especially Marven?

Vote and Comment...

Au revoir...